Author Topic: So I got a Mac Mini  (Read 3469 times)

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
So I got a Mac Mini
« on: June 11, 2013, 07:39:43 PM »
To connect to the television.  Wireless keyboard and touch pad.  I actually got it a few months back, but I haven't had the time to play around with it.  Now I am goofing off with youtube videos on the big screen, netflix, entropysink, random news and content, bill paying, etc etc... all from my TV.  Swipe side to side for desktops.

Not previously being a MAC guy... I am getting the benefit of playing around on a Mac as well as having all my entertainment from the couch.  Freakin' love it.

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: So I got a Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »
I've considered picking up a mac mini for the TV. I've tried a few different computer to TV things, including smart TV boxes and iPad connection. Nothing comes close to the functionality I have when I plug my laptop in though.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 06:42:48 PM »
Well a Mac Mini is a full computer.  So other than lacking the secondary local monitor (and DVD), I don't see much difference.

Laptop certainly has the compute... and it is portable.  I just don't have a Mac laptop, and from a media server perspective... I thought it would be fun to have one TV attached.

I have an apple TV (device) and have done airplay with my iPad to it.  That was pretty cool. 

For the moment, I am spending more time on my Mac Mini on my TV with Netflix than I do on Direct-TV with all the movie channels. 

My next big purchase for the office is going to be an iMac.  When the family comes back, I will lose my MacMini/TV experience.  :(

(posted from my MacMini)
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:08:47 PM »
Why not just a roku?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 12:03:02 AM »
No idea what that is.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:16:27 AM »

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »
Oh... it is an Apple TV.  More or less.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
Well a Mac Mini is a full computer.  So other than lacking the secondary local monitor (and DVD), I don't see much difference.

Yeah, for sure. What I meant was that I've tried some other devices and they all suck compared to plugging in my laptop. So I've been considering buying a mac mini in order to have something permanently connected and not have to plug and unplug 4 cables every time I want to watch something (I don't have any cable or satellite, I do all my watching online).

I wonder if there's any "local cloud" type software that would make sharing media across the devices easy. I guess iTunes can stream stuff over WiFi but their codec support sucks. If the apple TV supported VLC I'd just buy one of those.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:39:41 PM by charlie »

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 12:57:49 PM »
Why not just a roku?

I haven't tried the roku, but the other devices I've tried (Boxee box and LG smart TV thing) were all great for Netflix but terrible for watching flash embedded streaming video from websites. No support for full screen and the audio and video would get out of sync. I do most of my TV watching from the network sites (ctv.ca, globaltv.com, and cbc.ca). You really need a good web browser with proper flash support.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 01:35:53 PM »
I have one of the older Roku generation boxes and it works pretty well for Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. The only problem is with quite a bit of Hulu content, it's "web only" and thus doesn't stream on the Roku (ridiculous). If there was a better remote solution for a PC solution I'd prefer that. Something more like XBMC, currently Roku doesn't have an official Youtube channel either which sucks.
This signature intentionally left blank.