Author Topic: In home server  (Read 3676 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
In home server
« on: June 08, 2015, 10:32:49 AM »
So I've always thought of my desktop as my own little server - and I've been relcutant to re-use the case when I rebuild for that reason...I just saw this posted though - Lenovo has a home server on sale for $300.  I'm thinking about pulling the trigger.

http://www.extremetech.com/deals/207593-et-deals-lenovo-thinkserver-ts440-quad-core-server-for-300

I figure I can load windows home server or linux onto it and not have to worry about about backups or having massive local HD's with all my data on my main desktop.  As I've started doing more photography - it's really startying to eat up space.

Anyone with any experience or thoughts on this?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: In home server
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 03:20:57 PM »
Why a home server at all?  Can't the cloud cover what you need?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 03:33:51 PM »
Yup, that was my first question.  For $300 you can buy 3 years of Dropbox Pro and have all the convenience that comes with it.  And fuck 'massive local HD's'.  If you can't cover your need with 1 big HD these days then you're crazy.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »
Part of it is that I really like having the in home RAID backup.  I know it's a bit silly given that I'm generally backed up to the cloud in at least 2 places, but I like it. 

The other part is for things in the house - for example - local storage of my photos so I can do editing.  I'm running out of storage on my current desktop, so I will have difficulty editing my photos etc if I don't expand my storage options...Local network storage seems like a reasonable option.  The cloud doesn't really help for that...Unless there's a solution I haven't thought of...Is there?  My current plan was to repurpose my current desktop once I rebuild - but if I get something new/cheap, then I could reuse my current case for a new computer...

The third part is - in the past, I've really enjoyed tinkering with an in-home media server and even web server.  In time, I could see myself using it for home automation etc.  I'm sure there will be future setups that will not need my local server - but it's something I've enjoyed playing with on a hobby level.  Maybe even some lite personal web hosting eventually.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:09:38 PM »
I'm not sure I'd built another home server for a while. You can get a Linode server for dirty cheap with great specs (assuming you'll leave it running) or any number of EC, GCE, etc on-demand servers. If you're still looking for local storage, just get a nice router with a USB drive and use that setup locally.

I'm not sure about the photography stuff but there are some good options online now that link to various photo services (with plenty of storage space).
This signature intentionally left blank.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 10:23:29 PM »
Thanks tgm.  I'll wait! Or perhaps not at all.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 05:55:57 AM »
 :suicide2:

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 12:57:16 PM »
I guess I don't understand some of your points, Kermi.  If you use Dropbox or even google drive all of your files would be local and in the cloud so editing wouldn't be an issue.  I would personally not want to edit images across a network.  That's just asking for problems if you ask me.  It sounds like you'd have to get a bigger HD but that doesn't seem too difficult.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »
Of course I have cloud storage - DB, Google Drive - even Crashplan complete backup...

For editing - the file can't be in the cloud (web only storage) - it has to be SOMEWHERE locally accessible, and it's best if it's a consistent location.  I have enough data now that I'm going to need more storage, and I enjoy having access to all of it from every machine - and it'd be great if that machine wasn't my gaming rig.  I'll probably end up with a small NAS or I'll convert my current computer into a small server when I rebuild.  HD plugged into the router would have a similar same effect.

The big disadvantage of an HD is that I can't do other things with it.  For example, a DVR/media server.  I have 2 TV tuner cards (no longer used) in  my old gaming rig right now.  Once upon a time it was a FANTASTIC and automated TV machine - I don't think I saw or even had to FF through commercials for 2 years, and I was able to use it to "Slingbox" Saints games from New Orleans to New York.  The appeal of a separate machine over an HD is for things like that - Media server...and cutting out commercials etc.

Running the TV DVR/server was a fun hobby back before grad school - and I'd like to get back into it, but this time with an independent machine running the show.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 02:49:41 PM »
I had a long winded reply that was about what you two just advised.  I killed it figuring I simply didn't want to argue a point that wasn't going to be listened to anyway.

So yeah.  IMO

If you want an external served space get a network capable HDD or SSD and plug it into your router.

Need to keep a backup or backups and cannot or will not use the cloud?  Again get an external SSD or three and rotate them into a lockbox at your favorite neighborhood bank.

If you want functional photo/video editing storage, install a 4TB HDD or two.  On a typical sale you can get three for $240 or so.  I paid %119 for my HGST 4TB backupo drive.  I leave it unplugged until I need to make a data backup.

Streaming and inexpensive online solutions can solve secondary storage requirements, streaming needs, as well as any kind of web site you heart desires.  You can stream from any networked device these days from a ROKU or similar $80 device the size of a hockey puck.

Building a home server, with RAID and keeping it maintained and functional seems to be, in most cases, an early 2000's era solution.

Always leave any device that is supposed to be a backup unplugged until needed.  Lightning pops your PC and HDD it will remain safe and undamaged.  This applies to both internal and external backups.  Keep them unplugged - data and power!

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 03:20:16 PM »
Building a home server, with RAID and keeping it maintained and functional seems to be, in most cases, an early 2000's era solution.

Yes.  But it's fun and makes me happy.  Clearly I'm the only one, so I'll look elsewhere for ideas.

(Also - it's a supplement - seriously - lectures on cloud backup are unnecessary.  Everything but my confidential stuff is backed up to the cloud at least once - most of it 2-3 times plus on at least a couple of my own machines/devices.  Confidential stuff is only on this encrypted laptop, hard copy, and a Crash plan backup of the confidential folders to my desktop that is encrypted to hell and back).