Author Topic: Router + Azureus  (Read 3916 times)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Router + Azureus
« on: December 01, 2005, 11:39:57 AM »
There was a thread one time on which bit torrent software people used and a few mentioned azurues, so Im hoping someone will be able to help.

Lately whenever I have been downloading, the health of my d/ls are yellow, which means I have a NAT problem.

Apparently I have to set up port forwarding, I followed this:
http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Router_configuration
but it still doesnt seem to have fixed the problem, has anyone else experienced this? (I have a linksys router)

Has anyone changed the default port of 6881?

Thanks

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
Router + Azureus
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 06:25:12 PM »
open up ports 6881 through 6889, when you're downloading more than one it'll go onto another port

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Router + Azureus
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 06:54:35 PM »
Well I was able to open up the ports, and now the health of my d/ls changed to green, they were always yellow before.

Im still not getting great d/l speeds though.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Router + Azureus
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 09:10:38 AM »
will this improve bitcomet also or does it use diff ports?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Router + Azureus
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 09:22:03 AM »
I think the ports they use are tied to the client, not the protocol itself.  The FAQ in every client I've ever used tells you what ports to open, so try that.

IIRC, yellow can also mean there's a problem with the tracker.  My router forwards the correct ports (I use Azureus too), but sometimes torrents are yellow for a little while.

There isn't a whole lot you can do to improve speed; BT's speed is based totally on the speed of your seeds.  I was downloading something at 500K/s yesterday morning, but was getting something else last night at 4K.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Router + Azureus
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 09:31:53 AM »
thnx cheez, heres what i found guys. Its from the support team for bitcomet and has alot of really good info in it

WARNING: Do NOT forward port 6881 or 6881-6889 from your router! They're the default port range for the official BitTorrent client (Not BitComet!). BitComet does NOT and has not ever used those ports, so simply opening/forwarding port 6881 and/or 6881-6889 will NOT increase your BitComet speeds or make you connectable. In addition, many ISPs and trackers will block (and possibly ban) users on those ports, so even if you were using the official BitTorrent client instead of BitComet, you still shouldn't use those ports!

http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=103856#103856
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Router + Azureus
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 09:50:36 AM »
> In addition, many ISPs and trackers will block (and possibly ban) users on those ports,

That's retarded.  I've never had that problem, and I've been using BT on 3 different ISPs and on numerous trackers for a good 3 years.  I've NEVER been banned from a torrent.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Router + Azureus
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 10:31:54 PM »
it depends. If your someone who is sharing a shitload of torrents and alot of bandwidth is going to those ports an isp might notice it and use it to block you. I know someone who got banned for Ares lite because it caused too much traffic

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Router + Azureus
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 12:57:46 AM »
I changed the ports from the range of 6881 through 6889 to ones the site suggested, I dont recall exactly what they are.  I also changed some of my upload and download settings according to a table on their website, and I have been getting much better download speeds.