Author Topic: RAM Upgrade  (Read 2594 times)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
RAM Upgrade
« on: March 24, 2006, 03:36:47 PM »
I belive I made a thread about this a long time ago, but here it goes again.

My computer is going to be 5 years old in September, its a 1.5GHz, 80GB Drive, and a 128MB ATI Radeon 9600XT video, and 512RAM.  I dont play many games on it (besides CS Source), and I dont really NEED a new computer.

The hard drive is a few years old, the video card is maybe 1 or 2, I dont remember when I purchased it.

I have 3 slots for RAM, two are occupied.  I know its not good to mix ram, so if I was getting new stuff, I would probably just get two new sticks of 1024.

Would I see a great improvement in terms of performance if I were to updgrade my RAM?  Im mainly looking for a little improvement when Im gaming, and when running a lot of applications.

Thanks!!!

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: RAM Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 04:37:48 PM »
I think you'd see some improvement, but 1.5Ghz will only take you so far. I think 2G of RAM wouldn't be that much better than just 1G on your system.

I don't really know though, I don't play around with hardware that much.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 02:03:05 PM »
You'd see a boost in gaming and if you're running a ton of apps at the same time, but Perspective is right... once you pass the 1GB of RAM point in that system, your bottleneck is going to start to be the processor.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 03:26:23 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  Ill check into see how much that upgrade would cost, if its not too much I think Ill go through with it.