Author Topic: Almost the Google PC: Everex gPC available at Wal-Mart  (Read 2695 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Almost the Google PC: Everex gPC available at Wal-Mart
« on: October 31, 2007, 02:12:26 PM »
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9807133-7.html

"An app is an app, so why should users know or care if it's running on their local PC or in the cloud?"

Interesting concept.  not sure if it will be as user friendly as they think for computer noobs, which i assume is their target market (considering the low $200 before monitor price tag)

thoughts?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Almost the Google PC: Everex gPC available at Wal-Mart
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 03:38:05 PM »
Mmm. Got me interested. My brother's PC just died and all he really needs is word processing/web browsing.

Same with my dad. He need to upgrade his 6-7 year old PC. Tempting. Although for another ~$60-100 you can get an outlet Dell with 2x the specs.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 03:39:07 PM »
Seems like a great idea on the software side. Thin client OS is very appealing to many businesses, internet cafe's, schools, libraries, etc...

I don't know about the hardware bundle though... tough to say if that'll catch on. Some things just need to be client side.

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 08:04:17 PM »
Thin client - will the dream ever die?

Sun tried this a few years back with a Sun Java Desktop System and it didn't take off.  Will be interesting to see if this does...

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 09:15:14 PM »
reminds me of the dell business terminal pcs
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?