Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open Discussion / Re: Streaming NFL deals
« Last post by charlie on September 10, 2022, 10:23:26 PM »
I actually was in a sorta similar situation. I only have one team and they’re local, though, so really I was just looking for a way to get local broadcast channels. We usually go without “cable” but an HD antenna doesn’t work for our location so that’s the only choice. This time I picked between Hulu Live TV, YouTubeTV, and DirecTV stream. I didn’t feel like Comcast again and Sling doesn’t have local channels. Picked Hulu but because we already had it without live tv through apple we had to wait a week to turn on the live part. Decided to try a free trial of DirecTV stream until then.

I like it so far. The AppleTV app struggles with the direction swiping but otherwise not bad.

NFL+ sounds like a good deal and I think I’d do that if I ever lived outside the market.
Open Discussion / Streaming NFL deals
« Last post by ober on September 09, 2022, 01:13:33 PM »
So one of my quests today was to find the best deal on the NFL season (reminder that I'm trying to see as many Steelers games as possible).  I looked at a lot of different options.  I was originally thinking NFL Sunday Ticket through Direct TV.  They have a stand alone option which is the only option that seemed reasonable.  Fuck satellites and you can't get it as part of the streaming package (WTF?).  But the stand alone option is ... also streaming.  Again, WTF.  I also had to lie and say I'm not allowed to have a satellite for them to 'override' it.  Anyways... it's bullshit.  ONLY out of market games, no post season, etc., etc.  So I'd still have to do something else and that shit was like 73 a month for the package I wanted.

Problem with it is I still want to watch Browns games and I'm not paying for that AND another service.  SO... I looked at NFL+.  Not live games, BUT you get ALL the games streaming as soon as they end for $9.99/mo (or 79.99 for the year but who needs that year round?). 

So... I also got a deal from Hulu for $20 off/month.  SO $49/mo gets me all the normal games I'd get with cable until December + 9.99/mo for NFL+ gets me all the Steelers games.  Which is perfect because I normally don't start them on time anyways.  So like ... this weekend, I can watch the Browns game at 1 on Hulu and then watch the Steelers game directly after in either full OR condensed format, both ad free.

I know this probably doesn't affect any of you, but if you care about out-of-market games, this might be worth it and I figured I'd share what I found.
Open Discussion / Re: "Computers"
« Last post by charlie on August 23, 2022, 03:00:20 PM »
Yeah most folks I know (who granted have the funds to have separate computers) do a lot of stuff on their phones but still have a desktop or laptop for personal use. Everybody in our immediate family has their own personal desktop/laptop in addition to phones and sometimes iPads. They're just used for different things. My youngest likes to play games and bought a computer with their own money. My oldest bought an iPad for art and stuff but also wanted her own laptop for schoolwork and a little gaming so we split that.

But even outside our family there's just some things that are easier to do on a non-mobile device so it's good to just have a PC or Mac available even if it's a cheap/old one that isn't powerful.
Open Discussion / Re: Sound proofing
« Last post by ober on August 20, 2022, 11:33:17 AM »
I haven't done anything with it yet.
Open Discussion / Re: Sound proofing
« Last post by Mike on August 19, 2022, 06:50:04 PM »
So, any like with this?
« Last post by Mike on August 19, 2022, 06:49:32 PM »
I PC game so I use it a lot.

I don't mind using my phone for quick research but for anything in depth I use my PC.  Same for watching videos.  I've never been able to find the right "fit" for tablet usage.

As for mobile/not mobile:  Can you use the device easily while walking or riding in a car (cause I know you'd never do it while driving)?  A phone or tablet is yes but a laptop is a no (or a really awkward yes).
« Last post by ober on August 19, 2022, 07:53:43 AM »
I can use my work laptop for whatever but 1) I don't like doing personal things on it and 2) I game on my desktop so that's my 'hobby'.
« Last post by Perspective on August 18, 2022, 11:04:11 AM »
I haven't had my own "computer" (desktop/laptop) since I was in university. That said, I've always been allowed to use my work issued device for personal use. Still, I'd say 99% of my "personal" computing I do on my phone.
« Last post by ober on August 17, 2022, 03:29:48 PM »
I use my desktop computer most of the time but if I'm catching up on news/browsing reddit I am on my phone.  My wife primarily uses her ipad but has a laptop for windows specific things.  My kids stopped using their tablets a while ago and mainly use their desktop computers for gaming.  My daughter has a chromebook that she uses for watching youtube.

We do not call phones/tablets 'computers'.  I agree that they are but that seems... wrong.  Agreed also on laptops not being mobile devices despite the fact that they are indeed... mobile.  lol
Open Discussion / "Computers"
« Last post by hans on August 17, 2022, 02:42:36 PM »
I was reading a thread on reddit where a commenter said most people buy cheap computers. It was a thread about macbook air screen cracking. That got me thinking. Other than for work, do "most" people even use laptops/desktops or what we might have used to call computers? Seems to me that most people would be using their phones/tablets now.

And side question: do you call phones/tablets, "computers"? I mean, they are, but I don't think we call them that. And equally funny is I don't think laptops are usually in the "mobile devices" category are they?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10