Technical & Scientific > Hardware

Lathe

(1/4) > >>

Rob:
Following on from Jake's thread, and so as not to hijack it, I bought myself a wood lathe for Christmas.

Anyone else do any turning? Can't wait to get my workshop completed so I can start playing!

hans:
I've always wanted one but they're big, heavy, and usually expensive. Someday.

ober:
I always enjoyed that when I took woodworking in high school.  It's just so satisfying.  Sadly I don't have a need for one these days.

Jake:
Rob, that one looks pretty sweet - what type of gouges did you get? those quickly get expensive...

--- Quote from: hans on January 12, 2022, 11:17:26 AM ---I've always wanted one but they're big, heavy,

--- End quote ---

they are quite a bit smaller now, but still pretty expensive. Of course, the length will depend on what size pieces you are looking to turn!

A few years ago I purchased a 20 year craftsman lathe - which was huge. It was belt driven by a detachable motor and it constantly needed adjustments. I didn't use it very much and it took up way too much space in my shop, so I sold it a few months ago. I don't know if I'll ever get one again. I did keep all the tools

Mike:

--- Quote from: Rob on January 12, 2022, 08:14:35 AM ---Following on from Jake's thread, and so as not to hijack it, I bought myself a wood lathe for Christmas.

Anyone else do any turning? Can't wait to get my workshop completed so I can start playing!

--- End quote ---
I watch a bunch of turning videos on Youtube but I'm like 90% confident I do not have the patience for that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version