Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65091 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2020, 07:34:42 PM »
Illinois closed all schools through end of march
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2020, 11:00:28 PM »
Same here. Teachers have to go in next week to work on plans for tele-teaching.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2020, 11:28:37 PM »
We are starting quarantine tomorrow. Just have to get to the cabin, which means one gas stop - after that, we are keeping to ourselves for the next few weeks to see what happens.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2020, 12:47:24 AM »
Thanks, Jake. That's a great idea since you have the option available.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2020, 12:50:57 AM »
Yeah, a cabin in the woods sounds really good right now (and not just for COVID)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2020, 03:12:15 PM »
The governor in Ohio is now saying schools may not open for the rest of the academic year.  Like holy shit.  I went to run some errands this morning and staples like bread, meat, and a few other things were almost completely gone.  This is crazy!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2020, 03:48:19 PM »
If shit continues to escalate like it is, I predict that the next thing will be a run on cash and gas. Prepare.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2020, 04:19:26 PM »
I’m not so sure on cash and gas. Didn’t the fed just make moves to help prevent bank collapses? And with the Russia-Saudi Arabia oil price war thing I expect gas prices and availability to be fine.

On a separate note I went to a grocery store for the first time in a week. It was reasonably stocked but they were out of Spam and the entire aisle of toilet paper and paper towels and Kleenex wasn’t wiped out.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2020, 06:14:58 PM »
I went yesterday and the bread was all but gone.

The one area I feel under prepared is fruits and veggies.  I almost always eat/consume fresh and I just don't know how to stock up several weeks worth without it going bad.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2020, 06:34:05 PM »
Fed rate cut to 0.

NYC schools shutting down in-person classes until 4/20.

Hospital operations is suspending non-essential care. (I don't know what that means for me, but I know I'm already deemed essential staff.)

What a time.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2020, 06:45:29 PM »
NYC schools shutting down in-person classes until 4/20.
Are they going to have a giant smoke out to celebrate?

We received word that our school is closing until 4/13.  Technically we are only closing 3 weeks since the week of 4/6 is spring break.  Our teachers are expected to meet virtually with families.  Even though we are an independent study school we are closing so that if the families need to take time to address any coronavirus issues they can do so without penalty.  The management meet yesterday to determine the game plan and the office staff is going in tomorrow to and will be told how it affects their department.  The programming team is going full telecommute most likely (that is what our manager said on Friday) and only two of us on the team are going in tomorrow and mainly to assist in distributing technology.

BTW, this article is pretty interesting: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?utm_source=reddit.com
The data visualizing and the simulations were pretty cool

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2020, 07:56:51 PM »
I’m not so sure on cash and gas. Didn’t the fed just make moves to help prevent bank collapses? And with the Russia-Saudi Arabia oil price war thing I expect gas prices and availability to be fine.

I think that gas will be "available" - but people that man the gas stations, and the truck drivers that deliver it, might not be available to do their jobs because of being quarantined. Whatever happens, I did fill up a 55 gallon drum today, just in case.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2020, 07:59:53 PM »
Fed rate cut to 0.

kinda weird to think about it, but might be a good time to consider refinancing - I missed the first rate cut that ended early last week, but a 10 year mortgage was as low as 2.6!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2020, 08:02:40 PM »
The one area I feel under prepared is fruits and veggies.  I almost always eat/consume fresh and I just don't know how to stock up several weeks worth without it going bad.

Yes, I am thinking of this as well. We have some frozen, but that just isn't the same. I hope this doesn't last for a long time, but I will be starting a small aquaponics farm this week. Let me know if you want me to document it. Whatever happens, it will be a fun experiment.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2020, 08:42:57 PM »
I did a hydroponics last year and we are about ready to start it up this year.  But that'll be tomato, squash, and herbs.  Leafy greens didn't do well last year and the system I have doesn't do well with root veggies like carrots and potatoes.