Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65035 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2020, 09:08:25 PM »
I went yesterday and the bread was all but gone.

The one area I feel under prepared is fruits and veggies.  I almost always eat/consume fresh and I just don't know how to stock up several weeks worth without it going bad.

Frozen isn't fresh but it's just as nutritious and should keep for awhile.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2020, 10:35:51 PM »

The one area I feel under prepared is fruits and veggies.  I almost always eat/consume fresh and I just don't know how to stock up several weeks worth without it going bad.

But the taste.  /snob

BTW Jake, a lesson I learned last year is to keep a spare pump and lots of spare chemicals.  The plants can go from great to terrible in a day if they don't have the water and chemicals (food).

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2020, 11:00:41 PM »

But the taste.  /snob

BTW Jake, a lesson I learned last year is to keep a spare pump and lots of spare chemicals.  The plants can go from great to terrible in a day if they don't have the water and chemicals (food).

I will be doing aquaponics - so nutrients pre mixed in water.

BTW - how did you start your seedlings, did you do them in dirt?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2020, 11:05:58 PM »
How many of you have a generator? that would be a good thing to pick up whatever the case might be. Costco has a very nice two fuel unit that sometimes is on sale for like $500. Propane and regular gas fuel.

That's where I'm lacking - we have a generator, but it is relatively small and low power. Good enough to power a couple fridges and a water pump. If we don't end up selling the cabin I will be investing in solar and a better generator.

Also, once you have a generator, make sure you have plenty of extension cords and a way to power up various devices - like the furnace, for example.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2020, 11:08:45 PM »
There is a run on ammo - if that matters to you - I wanted to pick up a few more boxes for my AK and couldn't find any last week. I placed an order online, it said it was in stock - I wonder when it will come.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2020, 11:40:58 PM »
I will be doing aquaponics - so nutrients pre mixed in water.

BTW - how did you start your seedlings, did you do them in dirt?
I cheated and bought saplings then washed the dirt out of the roots before wrapping them in rockwool.  I plan on doing that again this year.  The kit I got does have a setup for growing seeds in rockwool with some stabilizer.  But you have to start that pretty early.

How many of you have a generator? that would be a good thing to pick up whatever the case might be. Costco has a very nice two fuel unit that sometimes is on sale for like $500. Propane and regular gas fuel.

That's where I'm lacking - we have a generator, but it is relatively small and low power. Good enough to power a couple fridges and a water pump. If we don't end up selling the cabin I will be investing in solar and a better generator.

Also, once you have a generator, make sure you have plenty of extension cords and a way to power up various devices - like the furnace, for example.
No generator here.  But at the same time it would take a massive natural disaster to take out power for a significant amount of time.  We just don't get the seasonal weather to warrant one.  We looked at one after moving in since we have the room but it just hasn't made sense yet.

A more long term investment might be roof solar panels and one of the Tesla house batteries.  In the aforementioned Camp Fire there was a house that lost power but had a solar setup.  They reported that they didn't dip below 60%.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2020, 10:01:17 AM »
Went to get groceries yesterday.  Bread was pretty much wiped out along with meats.  Plenty of veggies and fruits though.  Most of the stores around here have instituted a '1 per customer' limit on things like TP, sanitizers, etc.  So there was some of that stuff left.

The governor has already said the rest of the academic year may just be cancelled.  No official statement on that yet but he's thinking worst case.

We don't have a generator but I don't fear that being an issue.  This isn't due to a natural disaster and unless all the people that work in the power plants suddenly kick it, I don't think we have much to fear there.  I think we've lost power maybe twice in the 14 years that we've lived here and I think at least one of those times was due to a car accident.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »
John Oliver was more useful than Trump's address: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_066dEkycr4

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2020, 11:08:08 AM »
I think we've lost power maybe twice in the 14 years that we've lived here

wow, we lose power twice a year! at least. Mainly during ice storms. Actually, we lose power more in Chicago than our cabin - isn't that about a bitch?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2020, 11:18:45 AM »
Last night in Massachusetts, where my girlfriend lives, they closed all dine-in restaurants/bars for the next month.  They also prohibited any gathering greater than 25 people. Pretty sure that'll happen here in Connecticut soon.
At work, they told all front office staff that doesn't have to be here (like me) to stay home. Of course, I didn't read that memo and I'm here today. LOL.  But I had already planned to be out the next few days anyway.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2020, 02:05:14 PM »
Pretty sure that'll happen here in Connecticut soon.
NY, NJ, CT announced together that non-essential businesses will close at 8pm and will be limiting gatherings to 50 people.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2020, 02:08:08 PM »
Pretty sure that'll happen here in Connecticut soon.
NY, NJ, CT announced together that non-essential businesses will close at 8pm and will be limiting gatherings to 50 people.

yeah, i saw that about 10 minutes after I posted. LOL.  I get it...but it sucks.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2020, 02:18:09 PM »
@Jake - that sucks.  I know other people in the area that aren't so lucky but our power has been wildly consistent even in the worst of storms.

The restrictions on bars/restaurants and travel apply to Ohio as well.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2020, 03:37:42 PM »
so, asking for a friend... how do you feed your kids if you eat out every night and can't cook at home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2020, 04:05:37 PM »
So, the CDC is saying that school closures don't have an impact: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/considerations-for-school-closure.pdf