Author Topic: 2016 Summer Olympics  (Read 3269 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
2016 Summer Olympics
« on: August 20, 2016, 08:59:40 PM »

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: 2016 Summer Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 03:30:17 PM »
meh. I like the idea of the olympics but don't watch much.

we had the triatholon on the TV at work the other day, but my coworkers a competitive biker and runner and has done one before so it was interesting to hear his commentary.

I was kinda bummed when the US Woman's Soccer team got knocked out, I sometimes enjoy watching womens soccer.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 04:33:22 PM »
I am with meh.  No interest in it anymore. 

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:13:21 AM »
I still think it's pretty cool.  We recorded a ton and watched a bunch of it.  Granted we fast forwarded quite a bit and I can't imagine watching the coverage live.  The other thing that pissed me off is that what they said was going to show at a certain time was almost NEVER what was actually showing. 

Events that we enjoyed:

1) Fencing
2) Judo
3) Gymnastics (rythmic was meh but my daughter is in gymnastics so she loved the vault/beam/floor/bars stuff)
4) Men's basketball (I have the gold medal game recorded but we haven't watched it yet)
5) Clay pigeon shooting
6) Weightlifting

I'm sure there were others.  We ended up watching more swimming/diving than I expected.

We skipped over most of the track and field, cycling, and boating events.  I fast forwarded most of the triathalon and pentathalon except for the transitions. 

Overall I think it's a massive waste of money and resources and they should decide on a couple of locations and just rotate between them.  But I still think it's the one event where the countries come together (for the most part) and put aside their differences for a bit to compete.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 01:11:36 PM »
Obviously I didn't have much to say about it, I was just curious what you all thought.

I watched a decent amount, often on fast forward, going to normal speed if there was a short race or the conclusion of a long race or close match. Also watched some stuff live online when I remembered to check the streams for upcoming stuff. I still enjoy the competition and watching people win or lose by small amounts.

I can enjoy any sport, but I found myself not as interested in fencing, judo, wrestling or boxing. I am rarely interested in rhythmic gymnastics, trampoline or synchronized swimming. Otherwise whatever's on I'll tune into. No real favorites this year.

Oh, and I kind of agree with what you wrote there, ober, about keeping the Olympics around but rotating between a few locations. Makes sense to me.