Author Topic: Need some help setting up a site  (Read 2313 times)

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
Need some help setting up a site
« on: November 14, 2007, 01:51:21 PM »
My wife wants to start a website for an architecture competition she is putting together and has a few questions.  Unfortunately I can't help her since the extent of my knowledge on creating webpages is how to change font size and add images in html.  Basically what she wants is a site with a main page to post information, a forum for people to post discussions and questions, and the capability for users to post files.  Let me know if this would be better suited for a forum that specializes in this stuff, I wanted to try here before going out and researching and registering at a different site.  Thanks for any help!

My wife in her own words:
I've created a multi-page website for medium traffic use, that I'd like to launch in a few days. I'm having trouble with a few key areas: 1. finding the appropriate web server (it will hopefully be used internationally and so needs to be compatible with many different computers/server types. So far Apache seems like the best fit - thoughts?), 2. understanding how to set up a forum on one of the pages, and 3. understanding how to set up or include an FTP site (I will have colleagues downloading files that I will be uploading to my computer). CrossFTP (Apache based, I believe) said that I would need to download their FTP Server and that all of my colleagues would need to download their FTP Client. Is this really necessary, or did I misunderstand them and how FTP works? Ideally I'd like to have some sort of FTP link on my website that they can visit and just drop files in without having to have them download anything first. Also, for security reasons, I'd like to make sure that no one but me can upload these files. If you have any answers or advice to these questions I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Need some help setting up a site
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 02:02:34 PM »
looks like a good use for http://www.drupal.org/

anyone else have thoughts?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Need some help setting up a site
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:48:11 PM »
Forum = SMF fo sure