Author Topic: Too much Ajax  (Read 2005 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Too much Ajax
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:05:53 PM »
Have you guys noticed that a lot of sites at terribly slow due to all of the Ajax crap that they have on there?

I finally had to install Adblock to my chrome just to make Google Reader actually usable, along with other sites.

It seems designers don't care about how much junk they're throwing into their page and what sort of effect that has on the user. Multiple tracking scripts, countless ads, and dynamic everything.

Yet another web annoyance I'm having recently.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Too much Ajax
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 09:11:30 PM »
Yeah, I've noticed that on some sites.  What's worse is the asinine shit for markup behind most of these sites.  If they were optimized, I think they would all load in half the time.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »
i think Google reader is pretty fast to load.  i've never had a major problem with it. 

i do agree that it's a problem with other sites though.  I looked at the source of a local community site the other day and they were loading about 15 unoptimized/compressed jquery "plugins" in separate requests to the server.  the code embedded in the page was terrible; they were using inefficient selectors; it was obvious they had no clue what they were doing...slow as balls.

the dangers of the cut and paste, jquery world...

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:35:39 PM »
My reader problems were due to the ads being loaded in the preview mode.
This signature intentionally left blank.