Author Topic: "New" golf clubs for this year  (Read 1474 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
"New" golf clubs for this year
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »
I just picked up a new used set of Taylormade R7 irons (4-GW). The price was pretty good and they're in really good shape. I swapped out my woods and driver last fall and did much better off the tee so I thought I'd look for something newer in my irons. My old irons were a set of Titleist DCI 981 that my dad found at a recycled sporting goods store but I think they're a bit too hard for me. I wanted something a little bit more weekend warrior league and a bit newer. I was at the store and looking for a set of Mizuno MX-25s but stumbled onto trying a new set of TM Burner 2.0 irons. The Burner 2.0's felt very easy to hit and very soft when not hit incredibly well. Downside was they were $$$ since they're basically new. So I tried a bunch of other clubs and sadly kept going back to the 2.0's. But then I found a set of R7s. I tried them and they felt very close to the 2.0's. And at half the price I thought I had a contender. I went to the shop on my side of town today to try what they had and after a bit of stalling, I decided to go with a set of the R7's they had there that look practically new and just by chance had the same grips I like (bonus).

I took them out to the range for a quick bucket and was pleased with the results. I was hitting better with them than my old irons (still not great) and instead of my typical ducks/tops and slices (with the longer irons) I was hitting high shots off the mat. And I mean high. These things sailed in the air and got pretty decent distances too. My problem though is I started consistently pulling my shots now (not typical) but not hooking or slicing. I think I can get my timing figured out though and straighten them around with a few more practice buckets. I'm just happy to be picking the balls up off the mat. And even though I was pulling most of my shots (and pushing some others) nearly all of my shots would have been playable. I was also quite happy with the short irons although I think I want to look for a wedge to round out the set.

I think moving to the lighter weight steel shaft (the T-step 90 stiff) helps me feel the swing a bit better. Oddly, I was looking at the Mizuno's (105g steel) and mentioned that I was looking for the lighter weight shaft and the sales guy mentioned that the Taylormades had even lighter weight steel shafts which is what caused me to try the 2.0's. I'm by no means a great golfer but I'm trying to get to the point where I don't look like a fool shanking shots all over the place and someday get to the level to beat my father (a decent golfer) when he has a bad day. :)
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: "New" golf clubs for this year
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:15:15 AM »
The only golf i can stand is disc
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?