Author Topic: I will no longer recommend 1&1....  (Read 6079 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
I will no longer recommend 1&1....
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
And let me tell you why. Though, I will be much less upset if they treat me right on a dedicated server. Because i'm tired of the BS, and $60 a month for a managed true dedicated centos server is tempting. They just need to honor some things....

So today I am getting reports of a lot of internal 500 server errors when trying to attach files. I started a website that in its first days only has 50 members, but i'm getting over 1,000 visits per day, with a bounce rate under 30% and an average time on site of 21:00 minutes. so i call the host, because i spent enough time digging to know it isn't my SMF configuration. They tell me I must have something installed thats malfunctioning.

After 6 hours of tests going back and forth on SMF, we determine that ANY file over 86kb is being rejected. So i check phpinfo again, and it shows everything as 40M. Everything looks good. I call 1&1 support again, they ramble on about how SMF has issues and i should pay for VB, and then offer to "flush" the server and wait two hours. I humor them and 2 hours later, guess what? Yep it's still shit.

So I call AGAIN, and finally get a guy with some brains who actually knows SMF and tech support. The SECOND i tell him my issue he says "thats not SMF at all, our company limited everyone to a max size of 86kb on attachments through CMS systems......WHAT???!!

I lost my shit. I'm like you mean to tell me in this day and age you arent getting a TON of complaints? Turns out they are, and it was suggested to tech support that they not freely disclose the limitation.

:dunno:

I mean REALLY? The only reason i'm considering them for my dedicated is A, i have control, and B they already hold my domains and shit. Plus with a managed server if i fuck up they gotta fix it. So in the meantime i need to find a script for smf to shrink all file sizes automatically.

/rant
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: I will no longer recommend 1&1....
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
I don't host with them, just dns and my new domains are with name.com now. For the time being my plain old site is with hostgator, anything bigger and I go Amazon or rackspace.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:49:30 PM »
I'll check out Rackspace. Money is my main motive to stay with 1&1 for a DS. I'm paid up and it looks like they would give me the time until my next bill free on the DS. Otherwise i have to pay for a new server, then pay 1&1 to get my domain, and suffer down times. With this way it will transfer seamlessly and my only downtime will be changing my directory setup to the way i should have made it in the first place.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:44:09 PM »
Why do people even bother with shared hosts anymore?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:10:30 AM »
I've had this account for ~5 years now, ever since they were free and jake suggested them. I used it as a test account, and then storage, and nothing, and so on. Anyway this project was always meant to expand onto a DS, but never this soon. Alas i hit the go button.

Only thing that wont migrate is the DB. So i backed that up with unknowns create tool, and will take this time to set up the /forum/ directory instead of index. Hoping a quick db restore and a run of repairsettings.php will have me smooth sailing on the new setup.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »
If they're managed correctly, why waste the money on a VPS or DS?  This site runs on a shared box and most of my other sites do as well.

www.ace-host.net - I'll plug my host until the day I die.  They fucking rock.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 09:07:29 AM »
Cause the cost of a VPS is only marginally more than a shared server and 90%+ of shared servers are managed like shit.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »
If they're managed correctly, why waste the money on a VPS or DS?  This site runs on a shared box and most of my other sites do as well.

www.ace-host.net - I'll plug my host until the day I die.  They fucking rock.

Their prices arent too bad. I think the DS will solve my issue but if not, I'll look there. I'm irritated the setup is taking 3 days but it was the weekend.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:52:39 AM »
I personally use http://www.slicehost.com/ for VPS.  There interface is minimal to say the least.  Not sure how their customer service is because I've never needed it.  But you do need to know how to set things up for yourself.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »
Isn't slicehost just Rackspace?
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
They have/had some relationship but I don't know exactly what it is

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 12:26:19 PM »
I opted for a DS over a VPS because the DS is managed. I need enough control to manage my needs but not enough that I'm SOL on my own. When I was a reseller I locked up my DS more than a few times learning the ropes and I learned real quick what the difference between managed and unmanaged is.

Speaking of reselling,it didn't click when TGM mentioned them but I had it through Host Gator. I liked them.

Rackspace is f'n expensive. I'm going from $9 every other month to $59 every single month so if the service does not improve I will be going elsewhere. I thought of Liquid Web because that's who I recall cprog using, also.

The biggest issue of changing hosts is that 1&1 holds my domain and I have heard horror stories of domains held hostage and lost when leaving them.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »
So leave the domains there and just update the nameservers (if you can).

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »
That's where it gets interesting, because that would be fine. Except that they consider domains "included in the hosting package" so when you cancel the package its inclusive of the domain.

So I would end up with bare minimum hosting so I could point my domain elsewhere.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »
"whois" the registrant on the domain record?