Author Topic: C++  (Read 6171 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
C++
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:05:17 PM »
Is not like riding a bike. God I feel lost, here is hoping it comes back to me. To be honest I don't even know what language(s) my courses will be putting me on but C++ is the one I have the most time with so it seems like the natural choice to get my feet wet again.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: C++
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:48:42 PM »
I would start with pretty much ANY other language.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:58:04 PM »

I'll transition soon enough, I'm just using C++ to get myself rolling because I already know C++. My brain has forgot that it knows C++ but as soon as it remembers it will make learning a new language easier for me.v
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:49:46 AM »

Just out of curiosity, why?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 07:33:57 AM »
As far as employment I would imagine C++ is on the lower end of popular languages and something like Java and maybe even Perl would be higher on the list.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »
Like steve said... plus C++ isn't really a 'modern' language anymore.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 09:14:23 AM »
For me the biggest reason to start with C++ is simply to get used to coding again. Once I get back into the coding "mindset" I will probably jump right over to Java.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:43:30 AM »
Like steve said... plus C++ isn't really a 'modern' language anymore.

Nor is C, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the most widely used languages out there, and the basis of lots of other modern languages.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
Yeah, ok, I looked it up.  It still ranks way up there. 

As you were.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »
I would probably start with java - i remember having shit long arguments about this on cprog, so go search there.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 10:23:34 PM »
I got my course layout and this block is VB (super lame) followed next block by C++ so I'm going to refresh myself with VB then go right back to C++. Will probably also learn some Java during this block because next block I will have 4 classes.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 11:39:41 PM »
I would probably start with java - i remember having shit long arguments about this on cprog, so go search there.

I forgot that some of you came from the cprog days. I loved C++... Been meaning to get back into some programming as a hobby.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 01:29:52 AM »

I forgot that some of you came from the cprog days. I loved C++... Been meaning to get back into some programming as a hobby.

Most of us did.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 02:04:25 AM »
Groovy. It's way better than Java (but still close enough to be familiar).

Although I'm pretty sure school with either teach C/C++ or Java. But much of the Java world is moving towards Groovy as the new thing.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 08:17:49 AM »
That's why I'm glad I didn't major in CS.  Your education gets outdated too fast

Not really.