Author Topic: Pinball  (Read 5253 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Pinball
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »
I've been on a monster pinball binge lately. It all started with my gf's dad getting one around Thanksgiving. I got obsessed and discovered visual pinball. So I proceeded to build a new PC dedicated to pinball. I built a mini cabinet with a 27" monitor I had laying around. I'm now on rev 2 of building the cabinet for the machine after buying a 39" TV for the playfield (bigger is better). But after playing hundreds of tables digitally, I ventured out to play real pinball since it just wasn't quite the same. Thankfully there are two very good places to play within a half hour of me. This ended in me buying a Tron Legacy pinball machine that was for sale locally a month ago. Tomorrow I'm likely going to be picking up a No Good Gofers to add to my collection. Hopefully the two real machines and one digital will hold me over for a while but I doubt it. The geek side of me now wants to build one from scratch using Arduino or Raspberry Pi. So next up will probably be a bunch of hardware purchases and prototypes.

That's what I've been up to this winter.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Pinball
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 12:29:06 PM »
Is this your new business?  Are you going to build and sell them?  ;)

I get into pinball here and there... mainly on my phone.  I tried a new one the other day but the ball moved way faster than reality so I deleted it.  I need to find the old one I used to play. 

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
I doubt that, but it would be cool and seems like there's some money in it in the short term.

Boo. The pinball shop sold the machine I was hoping to pickup, but they did say they're getting another one in soon so maybe in a few weeks I'll have another one in the house. Until then I guess I finish the Visual Pinball one.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:58:21 AM »
iTunes Store has the Zen Pinball Game (iOS 5.0+) for $0 downloaded. Google Play has the Android version also for $0 downloaded.

Super Stickman Golf (iOS 3.1+) for $0 downloaded
Call of Atlantis (Premium) (iOS 3.0+) for $0 downloaded

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 03:25:09 PM »
So I played in a couple pinball tournaments in the last few months. The first one didn't go so well and while I qualified for the top 16, I got 16th. I played last Saturday though and took 5th overall. I qualified 12th and ended up taking 1st, 1st, 2nd in my first round. Second round I took 2nd, 2nd 3rd and narrowly missed making it into the top 4 for the finals. I ended up placing 5th overall. I'm actually getting decent now and know some of the basic rules for quite a few games which makes it easier. I also picked up my second machine "No Good Gofers" and I'm starting to plan out my custom build.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:10:54 AM »
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
The geek side of me now wants to build one from scratch using Arduino or Raspberry Pi. So next up will probably be a bunch of hardware purchases and prototypes.

ya know, I was just thinking, you should team up with Jake and have him make a sweat furniture quality case.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
The geek side of me now wants to build one from scratch using Arduino or Raspberry Pi. So next up will probably be a bunch of hardware purchases and prototypes.

ya know, I was just thinking, you should team up with Jake and have him make a sweat furniture quality case.
ewwwww.....

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 11:39:37 AM »
LOL.  you know its funny I typo'd that because I used to get sweet and sweat mixed up (I'm a notoriously horrible speller) but years ago I saw a graphic of Cartmen from southpark saying "Sweeeeeeeet" and ever since them I remember that "sweet" is the one with all the E's.

except for this time.

Also, I didn't learn how to spell "Wednesday" until college, when I resized that it has "NES" in the middle of it and I always think of Nintendo.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 12:08:13 PM »

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 12:32:53 PM »
Saw the announcement the other day on a pinball forum. The table looks pretty cool and the designer behind it is well known for some classic tables so it should be a good one. Very disappointed though of what they removed from the table for the "Pro" model. I'm not terribly interested in buying this one since Star Trek isn't my favorite theme but I have though about either selling my Tron for more EMs or maybe trading it for a Metallica one, which has a better theme than Star Trek and I've enjoyed playing quite a bit lately. Although I have the feeling I'd regret getting rid of Tron.

No doubt this will be a popular table though for a while and depending on how well the code and gameplay is should be nice to have around town (and I'm pretty sure 2 places will have it once it's released).