Author Topic: Software subscription model  (Read 4083 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Software subscription model
« on: February 15, 2015, 03:41:56 PM »
Adobe was the first one I noticed, but its creeping up everywhere now.

I was just looking to see what feature are included in the latest version of cakewalk sonar (since I'm on X1 and I hear they're already up to version X4) and noticed they've switched to a monthly/annual subscription price too instead of just buying the software.

On the one had, I get it. Free upgrades and the (presumed) promise for ongoing improvements without waiting for new major versions and no need to constantly upgrade every few years.

On the other hand, for hobbyists and people who just want to buy some software once and keep it forever, even if it gets old and outdated, it sorta sucks.  It would be like if you bought a new car but the payments never end; you never really "own" the car but it never breaks down and the maintenance is included.  That would make a lot of sense for a lot of people; for others it would totally blow.

Discuss.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Software subscription model
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »
Even your OSes will be that way someday.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Software subscription model
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 10:44:44 PM »
They make more money this way.  That's the only thing driving it.  I'm not looking forward to it if companies make it so this is the ONLY way you get software.