Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 16542 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #405 on: June 15, 2021, 01:18:44 PM »
Yeah, but even the current administration who agrees that we should be helping the rest of the world doesn't seem to have the urgency I would expect. :|

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #406 on: June 15, 2021, 02:39:10 PM »
I mean.... they just donated 500 million doses.  That's not nothing.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #407 on: June 17, 2021, 06:57:57 PM »
There are over 7.8 billion people in the world. If 2.5 billion already have gotten vaccinated... that's 5.3 billion people left.

500 million isn't nothing, but it doesn't show any real sense of urgency either.

We've known this would be an issue for months and months. As soon as we got 90% efficacy data last year on the vaccines (and actually well before then) we should have been planning on how to vaccinate the entire world as quickly as possible with a realistic target of getting most everybody by winter in the northern hemisphere.

Hell even if you're America First this should have been a priority given how variants can still wreak havoc here if the rest of the world doesn't get vaccinated.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #408 on: June 19, 2021, 11:42:51 AM »
So.... it's our responsibility to take care of the rest of the world?  If 10 other countries did the same as us, problem solved.  I don't think that's unreasonable.  I get the 'it's everyone's problem', but I'm tired of our country trying to fix everything everywhere.  I'm not all super 'America First', but other countries need to have that mentality or we're all fucked.  There are too many countries just hoping the larger economies will swoop in and save everything.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #409 on: June 21, 2021, 02:59:01 AM »
>> it's our responsibility?

No, it isn't. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

I mean, if you think it's worth potentially a million more people dying just so that other countries learn that we're not always going to be there to save everything then I guess your position makes sense (except for the part about it also being worth it because it could very likely save American lives, too).

Honestly I don't see a difference between that and people who haven't been infected skipping vaccination, or people regularly going maskless indoors before the vaccines came out. In each of these cases we're asking people to consider the needs of others and do something that helps themselves a little and others a lot while not really being all that difficult to do.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #410 on: June 21, 2021, 08:18:00 AM »
I think you're twisting my words a bit.  I'm not saying we shouldn't do it.  My question is, why aren't any of the other larger countries doing their part?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #411 on: June 21, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »
Ok, fair. I've got no problem with that question being asked if it isn't meant as an excuse for our country to not do anything.

My criticism isn't limited to the U.S. It also applies to every other country that has secured and administered plenty of doses of the vaccine and has the means and capability to distribute more around the world and push manufacturing forward to make enough for everybody ASAP.