Author Topic: MS Word question  (Read 5424 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
MS Word question
« on: April 27, 2005, 02:36:17 AM »
If your comment/solution to this problem will be "stop using Word" or something similar, do not read on! :p

My problem is that whenever I insert a picture in my Word document, it tends to disapear. Not that it is really gone, but the graphic simply doesn't show...if I resize it just a bit, or manipulate it at all it appears again - and then, when I scroll through the document it disapears. When I click on it, just the border appears. What could be the problem?

Also, scrolling of a document really slows down when it has a lot of pictures. I was recently working with a 112 page document that had quite a bit of pictures in it, and it was hell to navigate. I'm pretty sure it is not my rig, as I have a gig of RAM... :dunno:

any thoughts?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
MS Word question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 08:51:14 AM »
Pssst. Don't tell anyone, but Words picture handling pretty much sucks. I get that kind of stuff all the time. I have to use it for work, but it's a pain.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
MS Word question
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 09:02:11 AM »
Yeah... I went through the same problems you did with Word when I was writing my Thesis.  I ended up splitting up the document into my main content and then the Appendix to avoid some of the lag in navigation.

As far as why they are disappearing, the only thing I can suggest is try inserting them in a new document and see if you have the same problems.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
MS Word question
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 11:38:02 AM »
fuck, I was really hoping it was only on my side :( I was crossing my fingers for MS, but I guess it didn't work this time. Its too bad that a product that has been made for so many years, has such a big flaw.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
MS Word question
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 11:55:30 AM »
stop using Word or something similar

:p http://www.openoffice.org/ :p

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
MS Word question
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 12:41:28 PM »
I know perspective, and I do use OO on my linux box; I made that note because sometime I have to use Word when working in a team or for other reasons...

joshdick

• Math Mod
  • Jackass III
    • http://www.xanga.com/joshdick13
MS Word question
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 01:06:52 PM »
I've had the same bug pop up in Maple, not that that helps anything.
:robot:

misplaced

• 67% Incredible
  • Jackass I
MS Word question
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 09:01:14 AM »
You can try wedging a kitten in your computer case...that might work
If only I had a dime everytime I heard the words, "I sincerely don't think wedging a kitten in there is going to fix my hard drive"

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
MS Word question
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 09:57:44 AM »
>>My problem is that whenever I insert a picture in my Word document, it tends to disapear. Not that it is really gone, but the graphic simply doesn't show...if I resize it just a bit, or manipulate it at all it appears again - and then, when I scroll through the document it disapears. When I click on it, just the border appears. What could be the problem?<<

Sounds like a buggy NORMAL.DOT template to me.

1. Try opening the document on another PC to see if the issue replicates.
2.  Try saving the document as an earlier version of Word then resaving to the current version.
3. Remove & reinstall Office.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
MS Word question
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 11:24:55 PM »
>>2. Try saving the document as an earlier version of Word then resaving to the current version. <<

hmm...that actually worked. I saved it as wrod96 or seomthing, and the images are shwoing up. Where is that template at? is it a seperate file? if so, can ya send it to me?

edit:: dammit, its deisappearing again....and I was so happy :(

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
MS Word question
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 11:26:43 PM »
>>Where is that template at? is it a seperate file? if so, can ya send it to me?<<

Should be on your installation CD.