Author Topic: All-In-One Printer/Fax/Scan/Copy  (Read 4891 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
All-In-One Printer/Fax/Scan/Copy
« on: August 04, 2006, 02:38:21 PM »
I know a couple years ago, I wouldn't even have thought of buying one of these pieces of shit.  Now I'm probably within hours of buying one.  I'm pretty much narrowed down to the Lexmark x8350 and a Canon MP830.  The Canon is #2 on the PCworld.com list of all-in-ones.  The only reason I didn't dig into #1 is the fact that it doesn't have fax capability (necessary option for what I need to do).

My wife is sketchy on Lexmarks because she has it in her head that they're a bunch of shit.  I feel otherwise, but I've heard better things about Canon's image print quality.

So I'm just curious what some of you have had as far as experience or if you can comment on the two I've suggested:
Canon - http://www.pcworld.com/product/userreviews/id,28389;c,printers/userreviews.html
Lexmark - http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/product/home/902/0,6970,204816596_653293766_583522182_en_0_1,00.html

Necessary Options:
Fax
Print
Copy
Scan
Image printing on 4x6, 3.5x5, etc photo paper
Ability to use camera memory card directly in the printer (without computer)

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
Re: All-In-One Printer/Fax/Scan/Copy
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 03:52:53 PM »
I've always had HP printers. In fact, I just got an OfficeJet 5610xi (all-in-one), but I haven't used it much since it's mostly for when I go to college in Sept. But that probalby doesn't help much.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 06:52:52 PM »
My mom is dipping her toe into this market, so I scouted them out last week...I ended up recommending the Cannon to her.  Looks like a pretty good machine.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:35:31 PM »
Which model Kermi?

And JaWib, no offense, but I'll never buy an HP.  Their ink is ultra expensive and they do that expiration date thing with the cartridges (or at least they did).  Plus, their image quality isn't that great.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 12:44:38 AM »
The 830.  I liked the reviews from PCWorld, PCMag, and Tom's.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 12:03:56 AM »
Lexmark are shit.  Go with the Canon.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 09:00:47 AM »
I'd go Canon too. I have an Epson almost all in one (no fax) and I like it enough. When I was doing my research I would've picked the Canon if I wanted to spend more money. I rarely do printing anymore so mine is mostly a scanner/copier.
Canon just makes good stuff in general.

And for printing photos, I go to the local store and use their kiosks. It's cheaper than buying fancy paper and wasting my precious ink.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 09:32:44 AM »
I did go with the Canon MP830... it's sitting at my house right now patiently awaiting my return from my business trip to TX (where I am now).  I'll post again this weekend after I hook it up and try it out.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 05:42:31 PM »
Hey ober - my parents are back in the market.  They're a little concerned about warrenty and about duplex copying.  Apparrently it sometimes uses a composit black instead of the black ink when it's doing duplex?  I dunno...Anyway, you like it?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 06:50:53 PM »
I don't know if I should give a full review so far.  I really like everything I've used about it.  It's really easy to use.  I've done duplex printing, but not duplex copying, and I was very happy with the results.  I don't know which ink it used, but it looked fine to me.  Why does it matter? 

I haven't faxed or copied yet, but the scanning works great.  I've also printed directly from a memory card... pretty slick interface and the picture came out great without tweaking.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 07:14:35 PM »
Cool thanks - the duplex matters because if it's using all 3 then it's using a lot more ink...they also read it wasn't quite as crisp.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 08:59:34 PM »
Like I said... I haven't copied yet and the print I did wasn't high quality... just a draft print of some directions.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 10:42:56 AM »
ohhh, i just bought one of these too. Its an Epson something something... $59.99 CDN. haven't tried it yet though.