Author Topic: What keeps you UP at night?  (Read 25349 times)

yoshi

• I AM A COW
  • Jackass III
  • Thingy
What keeps you UP at night?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2005, 01:56:48 AM »
I just finished Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express", now I am on James Joyce's "Ulysses"
GO AWAY

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 12:13:12 PM »
Quote from: Duwenbasden
I just finished Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express", now I am on James Joyce's "Ulysses"

There's a jump right there. I remember when I read Agatha Christie...

salvelinus

• Founders
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2005, 07:20:00 PM »
The Quincunx right now. Always got a couple books going. Lotta mystery, sci fi, history, science & classical type novels (Vanity Fair, Tom Jones, etc.). Already read most modern "classics" - Hemingway, Fitzgerald, etc, but have gaps that might seem odd for a Humanities major with a minor in English. Never read Lord of the Flies, Native Son, The Outsiders or Catcher in the Rye, for example. Typical high school fare I never had. Course, for two years went to an all boy Catholic high school, wearing suits & ties.
Which reminds me of something completely different, as Monty Python used to say...
I remember one 40 something priest, trying to be hip & cool in relating to 15 year old boys in the mid '70's, trying to persuade us not to masturbate.
He talked about the consequences of what happens if you don't masturbate (and aren't getting sex with girls, which most of us weren't, although I do have a "Summer of '42" story" or, I suppose, guys, but that was so far off the radar the idea never came up). Nocturnal emissions, wet dreams, that is.
Should we be embarassed about the stains on our sheets or underwear? No! Our moms would be proud of us for our restraint!
How our mom's would know the difference between wanking & not wanking on the sheets was never explained. Did they do a CSI type exam of splatter patterns? Does any 14 year old boy want his mom proud of his wanking behavior? When the moms get together for coffee or martinis, are they bragging that "my boy's not wanking - I know! Check out this sheet!". I don't watch many chick flicks, but the ones I have seen haven't mentioned this.
Why that priest, who was a nice guy and was widely regarded as a priest who could "connect with kids" (and, no, afaik neither he nor any of the other priests I knew, even as an altar boy, were molesters) would think a talk like that would be effective is a mystery to me.
On the other hand, our class would have Mass once a week in the small chapel. Before Mass, Father'd go into the confessional to hear us confess our sins. A couple guys would then start rolling doobies in the back pews (the '70's were a  lot more permissive to weed, although maybe not in the Catholic church :(  ). They'd send us all in, one by one, to confess our sins (never personally confessed to wanking) so they'd have time to smoke it. Father'd then come out and start Mass at the altar. He'd start sniffing around and make some comment about incense being strange this week.
I think he was basically a good guy; we weren't fooling him, but he had to toe the party line to some extent. OTOH, he was one of those people that get too close to you physically, the kind that gets 12 inches from you. Not meaning harm, but not what most of us were used to.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 07:37:26 PM by salvelinus »
Go with the bad joke theory - RoD

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2005, 01:21:36 AM »
today I took a well deserved day off from school ;) and spent a better half of it at B&N (yea I know, shut up :) ) anyway, while there I read C.S.Lewis' "Screwtape letters" - great read; wow. Another book that reenforces the idea that C.S.Lewis was one of the best writers of the 20th century.

Also gave me an idea for a short story. :)
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2005, 10:55:36 PM »
"Live Through This: American Rock Music in the Nineties" Everett True

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2005, 11:36:09 PM »
currently reading, even though it is taking me a long time, "The Devil's Apocrypha" by John De Vito. Its decent; pretty interesting idea for a story: basically it is a manuscript written by a priest who has been visited by the Devil over a hundred years ago - the manuscript tells the real truth
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

yoshi

• I AM A COW
  • Jackass III
  • Thingy
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2005, 01:02:32 AM »
I skipped Ulysses :p and went straight into Lovecraft's realm of horror :p.
GO AWAY

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2005, 07:46:20 AM »
Reading "Perfume" by Suskind at the moment..

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2005, 07:50:16 AM »
>>there I read C.S.Lewis' "Screwtape letters" - great read; wow. Another book that reenforces the idea that C.S.Lewis was one of the best writers of the 20th century.<<

Have you read the Great Divorce? It's great as well, also the book he wrote after his wife died..the title escapes me..it's not very long, maybe 60 odd pages..but heartbreaking all the same.  His apologetic works are also worth seeking out - his logic in some matters may be faulty, but his writing is so lucid it's a joy to read.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: What keeps you UP at night?
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2008, 08:46:43 PM »