Author Topic: the fountainhead  (Read 4595 times)

ygfperson2

• Jackass I
the fountainhead
« on: July 26, 2007, 02:28:53 AM »
i've been reading the fountainhead over the last year (stopped at the end of last summer, picked it up again the beginning of this one) and it seems fairly interesting. i can understand why people dislike her writing. it does read like a big piece of objectivism propaganda but it's very well written regardless. it's about this architect who just dropped out of college and how he fares against the world in the 1920s.

Stephen

• Jackass IV
Re: the fountainhead
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:30:53 PM »
I enjoyed it a lot. She wrote convincingly, in my opinion, as absurd as objectivism may be. What fascinated me about the book was the character interaction -- they did have a level of believability, but they had extraordinary (in the literal sense of the word) personalities (I'm speaking of Howard Roark, Dominique Francon, and her father) and endeavours (or rather, their purposes for their achievements were atypical). It made them rather interesting. The level of surrealism may be a count against Rand in the literature world, but it's catchy writing, and really, if it makes people read it, more power to her.

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
Re: the fountainhead
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:02:11 AM »
I had a go at it...couldn't keep reading it mostly because I had books which I decided I would rather read, eg Golden Age of Science Fiction!!!
i have a stationary fetish