Author Topic: Which Gaming System?  (Read 4746 times)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Which Gaming System?
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:59:29 PM »
Im considering getting a gaming system.. just wanted people's opinions.

The wii looks really cool, and I know it would be fun when you have a bunch of friends over, but the games seem childish to me..

If I wanted to play online I would get an xbox 360 hands down, but I won't be into that, so I don't think I would even consider it..

A ps3 comes with a blu ray player, and has sports games (which I would be into) and Call of Duty 4 looks really cool! What are your opinions on a ps3?

Thanks

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Which Gaming System?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 09:05:33 PM »
Every system has sports games and CoD.

I've got a 360 and a Wii, and if I were to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't get a Wii.  Mario Galaxy is a fantastic game and so is Zelda, but I don't really have any other games for it that are very interesting.  So many of the games are cheap movie tie-ins or bad ports from other systems.  Even the games that are released at the same time as the other systems are usually behind, either in features or graphics (or both).  It's a "next-gen" system in name only.  That said, the party games are top notch.

I'd go with a 360.  The game selection is the best, the new processors are solid, and the price is right.  You can also get an HD-DVD player for it if you want

edit:  I forgot Metroid Prime for Wii.  I wasn't a big fan of the series but I know lots of people are and that sounds pretty well received
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 09:16:21 PM by Govtcheez »

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 09:37:03 PM »
PC
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »
PC

PS3 distant second

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 01:12:48 AM »
the last console I had was the N64...I like PC cause I have downloaded like 95% of my games
i have a stationary fetish

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 08:07:40 AM »
> There are tonnes of games on the Wii,
he's just too picky.

It's been out for over a year.  Name games that are "must buys" beyond Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zak & Wiki, and Zelda.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 12:19:16 PM »
I'm with Cheez. The Wii looks fun, but it's not a patch on a 360. I know I'll get shot down in flames here, but I prefer to keep games off my PC where possible.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 01:52:55 PM »
The Wii game selection is a bit limited at the moment. But more good titles are coming out with regularity. Give it another year and there should be plenty. I really enjoy the Wii for the simplicity of the gaming experience. I've never been one to like pressing eight buttons at once, or some twenty button sequence to kick an enemy (exaggeration). However, I'm also a PS2 fan too for racing games and such so I will likely be getting a PS3 in the future, or maybe just a PSP.
If you're into sports games and great graphics, I'd say a PS3 (only because BluRay looks to be the new video format). Otherwise, stick with your PC or get a Wii; they're cheap and fun.

For nostalgia:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9136575504838642038
This signature intentionally left blank.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »
After thinking about it and talking with some co-workers I have had a change of heart..

The ps3 is nice, I like the fact that it has a blu ray player, it has some good games, but besides the blu ray it doesnt have anything that the xbox doesn't.

I don't think I would use xbox live, but it has games I would play NHL, COD4, Halo, Guitar Hero, DDR, Rock band.. and I can use it to play DVD rips..

The wii is fun, and it appeals to more people, but how much fun would I have playing the games by myself?

That is what it is really coming down to for me now. Do I get a system that appeals to more people so its fun when I invite them over? (wii) or one that appeals to me (nhl, cod4, halo) and for when I invite people over (ddr, guitar hero) (xbox).

I have to make that decision now :)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 06:15:05 PM »
If you get a 360 you can play NHL 08 on Live with me

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 08:54:24 PM »
PC gaming is over. All the huge graphical improvements will
be taking place on consoles from now on.

Your an idiot.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 08:29:49 PM »
Are you kidding me?  Crysis didn't flop!  It didn't sell like a Console game, but for a shooter coming out in the biggest shooter saturated market in years, it did pretty well.  It's the #7 best selling PC game on Amazon, and the #2 shooter (behind Orange Box).

I want my games to take a top of the line graphics card to get the most out of them!  Hell, I don't want a top of the line card to be able to do it all!  I say that, of course, with a catch, I also want the game to be playable and look decent on a mid-range card.  That way, when I go to play it again in a couple of years with my 2010 mid-range card, I'll get a whole new experience!  Let the game grow with me.  I don't need to see it maxed out right now, I just have to see it maxed out for my system.  Of course they target average, but if the game is going to have lasting value, it has to look even better on next year's average - therefore, I want more games like Crysis!

Graphically, why would I want a console where my graphics are locked in for the next 3-4 years until a machine is released?

And CoD4 did push limits...did you play it on PC - especially one with high end graphics?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
>>It did flop. And UT3 sold less than half of what Crysis did in its debut month.

What do you mean by flop?  (curious face)

>>Graphics aren't locked on a console. We haven't even begun to see what the PS3 is capable of yet, and it's already been out for a year.

The hardware is locked isn't' it?  What you're saying is that the consoles don't develop to their potential at first?  Why is that a good thing?  Besides, I still don't buy that even a PS3 can compete with a similarly priced computer rig (if Sony weren't taking a loss on every PS3).

Looking at the Killzone 2 screenshots on their main page, I personally don't like them as much as what I've seen from the Crysis demo on my machine.  The foregrounds look real good, and very nicely detailed.  However, all the backgrounds are blurred.  That's one of the things I love about the looks of Crysis - the depth of the whole world.  Are those shot representative, or am I missing something?

PS - Tone of this post is curious and debate like...not meant to be Yarin and hate like!

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 09:58:53 PM »
Compared to what?  Console or PC?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 10:18:15 PM »
If you are a serious gamer, PC is the main avenue and will continue to be so well into the future.