Author Topic: Photo Cateloging Software  (Read 2355 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Photo Cateloging Software
« on: March 05, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good free one for the PC?

Things that I'd like:
Ability to tag photos and have a relationship between tags.  For example:  nudi and nudibranch are synonyms, "Spanish shawl" and "Chromodoris annae" are types of nudibranch.  So if I searched for nudi I'd get those that are tagged with "Spanish shawl" and "Chromodoris annae" but if I searched for "Spanish shawl" I wouldn't get "Chromodoris annae".

Ability to create albums based on tags and dates.  For example:  For my Honduras trip I'd select them by date.  But I could also create a nudibranch album.

Directory structure and albums are not associated.  Or at least the ability for albums to ignore directory structure.

Ability to associate the RAW file with the processed file so that they don't show up twice.

Ability to view DNG files.

Either that or I'm gonna write my own :D

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: Photo Cateloging Software
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »

Things that I'd like:
Ability to tag photos and have a relationship between tags.  For example:  nudi and nudibranch are synonyms, "Spanish shawl" and "Chromodoris annae" are types of nudibranch.  So if I searched for nudi I'd get those that are tagged with "Spanish shawl" and "Chromodoris annae" but if I searched for "Spanish shawl" I wouldn't get "Chromodoris annae".

Either that or I'm gonna write my own :D

I recently built a so-called "semantic search engine" that can search over concept hierarchies just like you've described (i.e., you type in "scientist" and it finds you articles about einstein, planck, etc...). I've thought about building an iPhoto plug-in but I never have the time...... the other hard part is that many people don't want to go through the work of building their own ontology of tags.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Photo Cateloging Software
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 02:35:43 PM »
Well that scientific data management class rubbed off on me and now I'm seeing ontologies all over the place :D