Author Topic: a lesson...  (Read 2287 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
a lesson...
« on: July 10, 2009, 03:25:38 PM »
if you're a marketing company doing a giant, half-million dollar web project for a client:

1) don't include the url to your open development server in screenshots passed out at a meeting.

2) put at least SOME sort of authentication on your phpMyAdmin application.   :D

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: a lesson...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 05:19:17 PM »
We're a small company and I still get cranky when they put our development URLs in screenshots or presentations. Or worse, give out dev phone numbers (which we reuse frequently for stuff).

Them:
They're not going to try it, they know it's development

Me:
So what, I would. (I'd probably do it during the presentation  :devil:)

You never know when a curious g33k type is going to see your stuff. I've probably accidentally broken some people's stuff before (or tripped various error logs at least).
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 04:38:51 PM »
LOL,
also, if you're that same said marketing company - don't leave references in the source code that link back to the site where you downloaded the free template you've based your design work on.    :rolleyes:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:27:45 AM »
Micah.

What ever happened to the new employee thing?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:34:51 AM »
interviews for the new guy start next week.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 08:54:16 AM »
I think he was referring to you and the whole "salary" issue.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 10:52:24 AM »
I was.  Do tell.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:03:54 AM »
I kind of figured as much...
I dunno... I'm sort of laying low now and planning to maybe make some slightly passive aggressive moves later on.

like I said before
they're looking for someone who's more up to speed on some of the things that I have less experience with - like OOP and XML/SOAP stuff.  Some of our new major upcoming project require that - the only problem is that I can' get any hands on experience in advance because I'm so busy with other projects.  I dunno.  Whatever

my boss wants me to sit with the interviewee's next week so I can get a feel for if they actually know all the stuff that is on their resumes.  I'll quiz them pretty good and report back to my boss. If they know their shit then, good for them, give them the job.  If not, I'll point out to my boss that they're not qualified for the job as posted -- and I'll point out to him that if he's planning to pay them 25% more then me, then they should at least be 25% more qualified then I am.