Author Topic: Million dollar pitch  (Read 6033 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Million dollar pitch
« on: May 08, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2010/05/rookie_gamer_wins_1_million_wi.html

"MLB 2K10 pays $1 million to rookie gamer who pitched perfect game"

Thats so awesome. The guy doesnt even really play video games
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Million dollar pitch
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 10:14:36 PM »
I almost had one... but I couldn't fucking score.  I had a perfect game into the 10th inning when I finally gave up a hit and ended up losing 1-0.  :(

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:05:17 PM »
damn, that would have been wild if u won
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 04:58:32 AM »
It had all sorts of rules tied to it to prevent fraud - you had to be taping it, I think you had to be playing an "MLB Today" matchup, the tape had to be a certain quality, etc

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:50:08 AM »
Ah... I didn't know all that.  I knew there had to be more than what I was doing.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 12:15:53 PM »
Plus I think the guy that won did it only a couple hours after launch, so you would have been too late anyways.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »
It had all sorts of rules tied to it to prevent fraud - you had to be taping it, I think you had to be playing an "MLB Today" matchup, the tape had to be a certain quality, etc
Hmmm, I guess I would have expected the system to "call home" with a detailing of the game.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 12:19:40 PM »
It may have, but I know they had lots of stipulations, and recording it was one of them.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 12:54:07 PM »
Hmmm, I guess I would have expected the system to "call home" with a detailing of the game.

it did. you had to play the matchup of that day, and then if you pitched a perfect game there was a code you had to submit online (given by the game). It also had to be recorded. The winner pulled it off only a few hours into the contest.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »
Ok.  So just a multi-prong approach.  You you can figure out how to fake one you'd still have to fake the other one.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »
Ok.  So just a multi-prong approach.  You you can figure out how to fake one you'd still have to fake the other one.

Exactly. And IIRC, he said in the interview that they checked the xbox hard drive or something when they came to award him. The company said they took mulitple precautions because they werent even sure it could be done.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »
> they werent even sure it could be done.

I'm not very good at the game, and I've been able to throw 6 innings perfectly on multiple occasions.  It would be that hard for someone who got halfway lucky or was better at the game for me.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 01:11:44 PM »
What level was the contest on?  Like could you do it in rookie mode or did you have to do it in uber hard mode?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
Here are all the rules: http://www.2ksports.com/perfectgame

I'm really surprised that I can't find anything in there about difficulty levels.  It seems like it would be trivial to pitch a perfect game on rookie; that level is crazy easy.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 01:16:13 PM »
> they werent even sure it could be done.

I'm not very good at the game, and I've been able to throw 6 innings perfectly on multiple occasions.  It would be that hard for someone who got halfway lucky or was better at the game for me.

i'm just quoting the company from the interview. The guy who did it only played a handfull of times, he bought the game specifically to compete in the contest.

What level was the contest on?  Like could you do it in rookie mode or did you have to do it in uber hard mode?

I don't remember them mentioning it. My guess is everyone was probably lokced into some middle ground of difficulty