Author Topic: Advice for taking photography as a hobby  (Read 1820 times)

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
Advice for taking photography as a hobby
« on: November 08, 2005, 05:46:08 PM »
Ok, so I'm pretty interested in taking in photography as a hobby but I'm not really sure where to begin and it looks like there are some serious photographers here.  

I have a decent digital camera, I'm blanking on the brand and type but can check when I get home if anyones interested, my wife bought it for about 900 bucks before doing a research grant for her school.  I don't want to spend a lot of money until I can figure out if this is the hobby for me or not.

So what should I do first, any books I should read or internet sites I should check out, or should I just drive up into the mountains this weekend and just start shooting?

Bassy

• Red Panda
  • Jackass IV
    • My website
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 05:57:42 PM »
i'll try and do a bit of an answer as i have been involved in photography since i was about 12 - started out with a 35mm manual slr, learned to develop my own photos, ran the university photo club whilst at uni, moved onto a nikon f3 camera and finally have finished up with a digital slr (so no more dark rooms and absolutely stinking of chemicals)...

I'd start by going out and just taking lots of photos, you'll soon get an idea of what is working and what is not when you look at them when you get home, as a digital camera often tells you the speed and f numbers that you shot at you can then work out what was working best for the light conditions. A lot of photography comes with experience.

A good site is http://www.photo.net - lots of amateurs and pros use this site, there are lots of very good tips, some very good portfolios (some bad portfolios as well) - and you can learn from viewing others portfolios and learning how they took a photo (both myself and gades have portfolios on this site but mine hasnt been touched for about 2 years as i have gone back contracting etc and have had no time).

Good books - I went back to basics and bought the Ansell Adams books - he is one of my favourite photographers and though he was not a digital person a lot of his stuff on lighting, composition etc holds, and I am a great believer in learning the basics first. I have both the The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography  and The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography Book 2
People in bamboo houses shouldn't throw pandas

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 11:12:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice, that site looks great.  I'll post some pics after this weekend and get some (hopefully) constructive criticism :D