Author Topic: IE 6 and the amazing invisible image.  (Read 6624 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: IE 6 and the amazing invisible image.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 11:19:25 PM »
Except, if you are doing anything for a buisness venture than you pretty much have to suck it up and deal with the fact that IE6 still controls a majority share of the market.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 11:31:03 PM »
It does? But ie7 is like two years old...

Lazy fucking people
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 11:36:05 PM »
And?  How many people do you think A) Give a shit about their browser beyond it just working? B) Actually know how to upgrade it?

It isn't like there is a popup in IE6 that says "Hey you should upgrade me here is the link".  And I don't think window's updates does it either.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 11:47:01 PM »
There's a notice in ie6 as well as windows update. It asks twice and then suggests it in the update panel.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 11:48:08 PM »
Oh and its service pack bundled.

If they don't care or don't update then fuck em. Enough holding the hands of antiquated jackass's

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 12:08:54 AM »
There's a notice in ie6 as well as windows update. It asks twice and then suggests it in the update panel.
My IE6 says nothing.  I can't speak for windows update as I have it turned off.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 12:29:32 AM »
Ie6 on my test box always nagged me. I'd say no and it would come back.

Linux ftw

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 09:52:23 AM »
I have a friend that works for a company where the reason they're not updating is because their old software doesn't work on the new browsers. That drives me crazy. Number one, that should tell you something about the software you're using.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »
Companies are cheap. Take 1and1 hosting for example. They use a java based ticket system for support, accounts, everything. One system for everything. The system was built when they were a new company, designed to handle 500 users at an internal capacity.

Today they use that same exact system for over 3500 users globally with very minor upgrades. It crashes, looses data, etc and still has not been updated or replaced.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 10:53:31 AM »
My company just extended an email to those of us that use IE7.  They asked us "beta" testers to report issues ad or bugs we have had with the update.  I counted about fifteen or twenty other "beta" users specified in the email.

Ridicules.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 10:56:38 AM »
The IT department was dying to say BETA :lol:

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »
I couldn't find a good post to bump so I grabbed this one to share my good news at work...

my programming cohorts and I just had a successful meeting with the managing principals and convinced them to let us stop supporting IE6!!!  We showed how making version-specific hacks for a 10 year old software product can add up to 10-20 hours of additional work per project only to be viewed by about < 2.5% of web users (according to microsoft's own data).   They agreed to update the verbiage in our proposals to state that we program for modern browsers "including IE7 and up" and if a client pushes back, we simply charge more.

WIN!!!

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »
we've stopped supporting ie7 under our gsa's with customers.  if they want it, it costs more as well.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 03:27:57 PM »
Eventually it will cost more for all IE versions because IE is shitty non compliance

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 04:52:12 PM »
We tried to drop IE6 but failed because several people couldn't get through our load balancing equipment due to encryption methods used in IE6.  A decision was made to drop back slightly and still support it from that point of view, which sucks, but you'd be surprised how many people and customers that change affected.  We have officially dropped IE6 support in terms of the actual software we develop though.