Author Topic: Dealing with food allergies  (Read 2096 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Dealing with food allergies
« on: February 21, 2020, 02:42:04 PM »
I know some of you have to deal with food allergies (either for yourself or a child).  I just had a situation that made me see how taxing that has to be.  I was asked to make a soup without onions, garlic, bell peppers, eggs, or peanuts that was also gluten free.  Having to look at each and every ingredient, carefully reading each label, and looking up what some random name is really took awhile.  It took me hours just to find a decent looking recipe and then a couple more researching the ingredients.  I can't imagine having to do that every day for every meal.  My respect for those of you who have to do it.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Dealing with food allergies
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 03:42:07 PM »
The people that scoff at the effort that goes into it will never get it until they have to do something like this.  My own parents still haven't wrapped their head around the complexity of it.  Luckily with OIT we don't have to be quite as careful anymore but we still constantly read labels on stuff and we're hyper aware of issues with anyone else's kids or even other adults that may have dietary restrictions.  Some people think that you go so overboard but they don't understand that the smallest little bit can be a major issue.

The other thing that makes this all even harder is that some companies refuse to be transparent about it.  Some companies do not list allergens that are in their products and even some that do are shady about it.  Even something like food being processed on shared equipment or in the same facility as an allergen can be enough to trigger something (and was for our daughter).

Like I said tho, if you know someone with severe allergies, I would highly recommend researching OIT to see if it's available in your area.  It is growing as a practice but still not widely available.  We got lucky that our daughter's allergist just happened to start offering it as a treatment.