Author Topic: a sad, sad day  (Read 14995 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: a sad, sad day
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2020, 05:09:56 PM »
Week into it with the new phone, here are my impressions

the good:
1. OMG battery life - one of the main reasons I loved my previous moto phones, the excellent battery life. And this phone is the same! I am getting 20-24 hours of battery without issue. Sure, I was on vacation, so I wasn't using as much as I will do now, but that is still impressive.
2. Camera - picture details are amazing; color quality is average; what sets it apart is low light sensor. Pictures taken at dusk come out crisp and vibrant, and that is even without using night mode. I am blown away. I'll try to post a sample this week.
3. phone jack - yup - probably last time I will see that
4. Screen - compared to the LG, the screen is fantastic. Don't get me wrong, LGs was nice as well, but it had a huge downside - it was difficult to see in sunlight even in the brightest setting - I never could figure out why that is. Moto looks good in sun light and in shade.
5. Moto motions and moto display - as described in an earlier post, these are wonderful features that make the phone easy to use without extra touches.

the bad:
1. The edge - I don't get the purpose. It looks cool but I don't see the real benefit of it yet. On some apps it actually hinders the display - good thing that they make edge display easy to turn off for each app. Perhaps there are features I didn't explore yet that make the edges useful.
2. No back button - I don't know if this is an OS option or phone specific. But all my previous phones had a back soft key that would show on the bottom of the screen. This one doesn't. You have to "swipe right" to go back to previous screen - and unlike the moto motions, this does produce false positives and doesn't always work

the ugly:
1. This has to be the worst onscreen fingerprint reader ever. I mean, holy shit, compared to the split second recognition of the LG, this is complete garbage. Most of the time you need to do it 2 or 3 times before it is recognized, and when it does it takes 2-4 seconds. I type in my pin quicker than that!

So yeah, that is the review so far. The good outweighs the bad and ugly for me. But I did expect more from a 1000 dollar phone.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2020, 09:02:04 PM »
the ugly:
1. This has to be the worst onscreen fingerprint reader ever. I mean, holy shit, compared to the split second recognition of the LG, this is complete garbage. Most of the time you need to do it 2 or 3 times before it is recognized, and when it does it takes 2-4 seconds. I type in my pin quicker than that!

OMG YES!
I had an LG V30 for two years with a finger print reader on the back, built into the but on that back to wake it up, put it to sleep, etc.  It was my first finger printer reader on a device and I loved it.
Then I got this Samsung Note 10+ for like a billion dollars... like you said, half the time it doesn't recognize my finger and when it does, it can take well over a second or two. I know that seems minor, but when swipe motions and pins are faster, it kinda looses its appeal. Especially coming from that LG which was near-instantaneous
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2020, 10:18:46 PM »
Uhh... who is still using finger print readers?  I've had my iPhone X for 2 years with facial recognition and you couldn't pay me to use a phone that required my fingerprint anymore.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2020, 11:08:48 PM »
I turned my phone's facial recognition off after less than a day.  "oh you are looking at me, let me unlock everything".  No, I was just looking at the time.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2020, 12:32:30 AM »
To each their own, I suppose.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2020, 04:37:14 AM »
i have facial recognition on to unlock my phone, but more often than not, I'd like my phone to be unlocked by the time I look at it.  I like being able to pick it up and in the same gesture have it open... which is what I miss so much about my old LG fingerprint reader.  Now I have to pick up my phone, look at it, and wait like 500ms or more.  And if I'm in my car (like at a stop light) and I want to quickly pick it up to see what notification I just got, its not a smooth motion to unlock it with my handsome face.
Also, for apps inside my phone in which I care about the security of, I prefer the psychological comfort of a finger print.  Banking, work e-mail, that "private folder of images ;) " etc etc...i would prefer they don't unlock on their own by just my very presence.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2020, 09:05:34 AM »
Perhaps I was using my phone longer on vacation :p or yesterday was just a light day. But I'm at 54% with 24 hours since charge

Also, loving the ability to take a screen shots by pressing screen with 3 fingers
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2020, 11:06:45 PM »
That's some good batter life...plugging it in now