Author Topic: Fitness megathread - discuss weight loss, fat loss, working out, etc here!  (Read 79536 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
so heres the dealio. I'm skinny, i pretty much always have been. I exercise a few times a week, ride a bike, etc. My diet isnt the best food in the world, but i do eat well and i watch what i eat. If i do eat something thats not so good for me, i dont eat alot and i compensate for it. I drink water, watch my salt intake, etc.

Yet i still have LOVE HANDLES. These damn things wont DIE. I'm now considering a fat burner type pill to help me burn them off during exercise. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 08:27:46 AM by Govtcheez »
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: fat burner
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 12:39:31 PM »
What do you do for exercise?  Remember, fat is deposited where your body says it's going to be deposited, and no amount of working that area out is going to change that.  In fact, if you're working your obliques to get rid of love handles, your problem will just get worse as you build more muscle under the fat.

Really, the biggest key to losing stuff like that is going to be diet.  Those are usually the last things to go when you're losing weight, and you usually have to have pretty low body fat to get rid of them.

edit: Also I wouldn't use fat burners at all.  Gimmicky shit.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:44:23 PM by Govtcheez »

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 01:59:55 PM »
I start doing some lifting, pulls, shit like that on my wieghtbench to warm up. Then i go ride the bike around 3-5 miles depending on how my knee feels. After that i do some cardio, some exercise i got off the net designed for obliques, and some more lifting.

My diet isnt great, but i eat alot of steak, hamburger, pasta, and things like that. I quit drinking beer/alcohol for the most part. When i do drink i try not to drink alot. Since feb i have been drunk twice, and other than that i havent really drank. I have been trying to get rid of them for a long time now. I dont have much, but its there and i cant stand it.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 03:04:06 PM »
> some exercise i got off the net designed for obliques

Working your obliques is not going to eliminate fat on the obliques.

When you say lifting, what are you doing?  Do you have a routine or do you just fart around and move weights?  When you say you do cardio after biking (which is cardio, but really only a warmup for the amount you're doing), what are you doing?

edit: How many calories do you eat in a day?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 03:07:08 PM by Govtcheez »

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 03:07:59 PM »
I read a blurb on getting rid of love handles a few years back.  Long story short it is nearly impossible.  To do it long term for most people isn't possible at all without serious health risk.  Stallone fought it for years.  Finally had them surgically removed for Rocky 4.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 03:10:01 PM »
I have one of the benches with all the pully's and what not on it. I do the arm one where i push it out and up, the pull down bar, the fold in (the arms have pins that come out, and they squeeze in). I also do curls. As for cardio i use the bike, the step-master thing on the bench. I dont know if these count as cardio but i also do crunches, pushups, leg lift, and pullups.

I would run/jog but my knee cant handle that yet. Well in short bursts it can, but not too much. Cant even take too much on leg lifts.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
mine arent THAT bad. I'll have to take a picture. I went swimming the other day at a friends and one of the cute lil hootchies told me my love handles are gettin flabby now its fucking with me. I've been working on them for months, though.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 03:11:23 PM »
> I read a blurb on getting rid of love handles a few years back.  Long story short it is nearly impossible.  To do it long term for most people isn't possible at all without serious health risk.

This blurb is pretty stupid then.  It's no different than losing any other bit of fat.  Most people aren't willing to modify their diet and exercise enough to make that possible, and a really startling number of people are of the "spot training is possible" bandwagon.  This leads to people building up muscle under the fat and making them look a lot bigger than it is.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 03:15:57 PM »
I have one of the benches with all the pully's and what not on it. I do the arm one where i push it out and up, the pull down bar, the fold in (the arms have pins that come out, and they squeeze in). I also do curls. As for cardio i use the bike, the step-master thing on the bench. I dont know if these count as cardio but i also do crunches, pushups, leg lift, and pullups.

I would run/jog but my knee cant handle that yet. Well in short bursts it can, but not too much. Cant even take too much on leg lifts.
There are well designed routines everywhere on the web, there's no reason to just hop on a bench and do what you want, since it's probably not going to accomplish what you want, especially when you don't know the names of the exercises you're doing.

I can post some examples for you if you want, they're very helpful.  They use the legs a lot and I know you're not too keen on doing that right now, but there are ways to work around that.  Your legs are some of the biggest muscles in your body and your progress accelerates dramatically when you actually work them.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 03:16:36 PM »
Not being any kind of an expert in (getting rid of them) you are probably right.  Just thought I would toss that in.  I remember that they were interviewing Mr. Universe people and Hollywood "shirt-off" stars along with the usual nutritionist folk.

I don't see it as an issue as long as you stay healthy.  Well...unless you make your living showing your lack of handles off.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 03:19:35 PM »
If you want to do cardio specifically to burn fat, look into high intensity interval training.  It's got the benefit that it can be impact-free (you can doing it running, swimming, or on an elliptical), and studies have shown that it's 9 times as effective burning fat than regular medium intensity cardio

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 03:21:16 PM »
www.tcempire.net/IMG_0202.JPG
www.tcempire.net/IMG_0203.JPG

yea if u have any specific routines u follow id love to read them. Theres sooooo many out there its a mess.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »
Dude.

1)  You don't have love handles.

2) Ober is now in love.

:D

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 03:27:19 PM »
i see them, why cant u :P

God i am the poster boy for skinney white people who need a tan everywhere

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 03:35:01 PM »
This is the one I do now:

Day 1 (Upper Body) All movements 8 sets of 3 at a 5 rep max with 60 seconds rest
BB Bench Presses
Seated Rows
Pull-Ups
Standing DB Shoulder Presses

Day 2 (Lower Body) All movements 3 sets of 8 at a 10 rep max with 90 seconds rest
BB Squats
Leg Raises
DB Deadlifts
Decline Bench Sit-Ups
Standing Calf Raises

Day 3 (Cardio for Recovery)

Day 4 (Upper Body) All movements 3 sets of 8 at a 10 rep max with 90 seconds rest
45-Degree Incline DB Bench Presses
45-Degree DB Rows
Standing BB Curls
Standing Reverse-Grip Tricep Press-Downs

Day 5 (Lower Body) All movements 8 sets of 3 at a 5 rep max with 60 seconds rest
Hack Squats
Lying Leg Curls
Lying Leg Raises
Seated Calf Raises

I'm substituting Back Squats for Hack Squats, and something else for Lying Leg Raisess, because Hack Squats tear the shit out of my calves and I suck at holding a dumbbell between my legs for leg raises.  You'll also notice that almost none of these are done on machines.  Machines only work one specific muscle at a time.  Using free weights on heavy compound lifts allows me to kick the shit out of more than one muscle at a time (ie deadlifts work basically everything below your chin in some way).  It's more efficient and you don't end up looking like those weirdos at the gym with giant biceps but no triceps and stick legs.

I started with this one
Monday – Heavy Day
Squat – 5 sets of 5
Bench – 5 sets of 5
Bent Over Row – 5 sets of 5

Wednesday – Light Day
Squat – 4 sets of 5
Military Press – 4 sets of 5
Deadlift – 4 sets of 5

Friday - Medium
Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, back-off
Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, back-off
Bent Over Row – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple

You'll notice there are squats every day there.  Some people are against squats because they think they're bad for your knees.  They're wrong.  With your knee though, I'd be careful.  Don't be afraid to move heavy weight, but listen to your body.

Also, one of the best resources out there is exrx.net.  You can search there for pretty much every exercise under the sun, and they'll tell you how to do it safely and which muscles it targets.

edit: I just looked at the pictures - how long have you been lifting?