Author Topic: Cricket has gone to the dogs  (Read 7882 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Cricket has gone to the dogs
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 07:21:07 PM »
Assistants

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 09:10:39 PM »
is that teh game with the mallets and the arches that
stick out of the grass?

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

LMAO that's pure gold :rofl: :lmao:

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 09:11:34 PM »
It's bizarre how afraid people overseas seem to be of changing sports in any way.  I've even seen people claim that if goal line referees were introduced in soccer, they'd never watch another match again.

It's not fear it's just a really good way to fuck up a perfectly good game.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 10:38:26 PM »
Why the heck would you react so violently then?  It's just a sport playa

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 06:57:44 AM »
Why the heck would you react so violently then?  It's just a sport playa

Cos cricket is something that's very dear to my heart as much as I'm sure that baseball is to yours. 

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007, 10:26:57 AM »
The difference is that I'm not psychotic enough to think that changing the time that games are played is the "final nail in the coffin" of anything.  There have been rule changes/ideas I thought were stupid but not ones that would have made me stop watching the sport.  I enjoy sports for the competition and camaraderie, not because the rules are the exact same as they have been for 700 years.  If I was that concerned with tradition I'd go to church.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2007, 10:44:34 AM »
The difference is that I'm not psychotic enough to think that changing the time that games are played is the "final nail in the coffin" of anything.  There have been rule changes/ideas I thought were stupid but not ones that would have made me stop watching the sport.  I enjoy sports for the competition and camaraderie, not because the rules are the exact same as they have been for 700 years.  If I was that concerned with tradition I'd go to church.

Govt
Please update abive paragraph, using beer at least once.

Knuck

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2007, 10:48:18 AM »
The difference is that I'm not psychotic enough to think that changing the time that games are played is the "final nail in the coffin" of anything.  There have been rule changes/ideas I thought were stupid but not ones that would have made me stop watching the sport.  I enjoy sports for the competition and camaraderie, not because the rules are the exact same as they have been for 700 years.  If I was that concerned with tradition I'd go to church with a beer in hand.
There you go Knuck

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2007, 11:56:52 AM »
The difference is that I'm not psychotic enough to think that changing the time that games are played is the "final nail in the coffin" of anything.  There have been rule changes/ideas I thought were stupid but not ones that would have made me stop watching the sport.  I enjoy sports for the competition and camaraderie, not because the rules are the exact same as they have been for 700 years.  If I was that concerned with tradition I'd go to church with a beer in hand.
There you go Knuck

Ahh.  Better.  So. Much.  Better.

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2007, 07:37:31 PM »

I'm concerned if the rules affect said competition and camaraderie, which night test matches almost certainly would.  Final nail in the coffin - it's called melodrama, I wasn't being psychotic.  And I'm not going to denigrate this thread into personal insults.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2007, 07:12:42 AM »
There's got to be something subtle about the sport that I'm missing here.  How would playing at night really affect the quality of play?  I doubt they're going to make them play in the dark or anything.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2007, 08:56:55 AM »
Looking at some articles and the changes seem quite reasonable.  Tests lasting 5 days with 7 hours per day is a little much for spectators.  So having one day matches and having those matches at a time when people could actually attend is pretty reasonable.