Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open Discussion / Re: We got a puppy!
« Last post by Perspective on May 14, 2021, 03:41:01 PM »
Cute, we picked up a covid puppy last May. Kids love her.
Open Discussion / Re: We got a puppy!
« Last post by hans on May 14, 2021, 03:20:30 PM »
Cute.
Open Discussion / We got a puppy!
« Last post by ober on May 14, 2021, 12:46:37 PM »
We got a puppy!  She's 3 months old.  Half her paperwork says she's an Akita mix.  Half of it says she's a Husky mix.  I think she's neither and she's a shepherd mix.  LOL  Her name is Pixel  :D
Open Discussion / Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Last post by charlie on May 11, 2021, 01:55:17 AM »
Pfizer was authorized for ages 12-15 today, and a couple hours later we got a reminder that our high school had a vaccination clinic for ages 16 and up. But a few minutes after that they sent another notification that ages 12-15 could come, too.

We booked it over and were about 20th in line. By the time we left there were probably another 100 people waiting. They were expecting a total of 30 people in the three hours before the news about the 12-15 age group came.

So my eldest got her first shot. Woot! My younger kid actually doesn't turn twelve for a few more days, so we're hoping they're still doing the clinic next week.
« Last post by hans on May 07, 2021, 06:44:00 PM »
You actually want some sort of side effects on the second shot. That's your body telling you it's working and building your immunity. I've heard a range on second shots so it's really a coin flip. I haven't heard of anyone I know getting more than tired for a day. We get our second next week. I'll report back.
« Last post by Mike on May 07, 2021, 03:47:41 PM »
does the longer wait between shots reduce side-effects with the second dose?  Almost everyone I know who's gotten both shots has had somewhere between noticeably uncomfortable symptoms and straight-up feel-like-dying sickness for about a day after the second shot.  Anecdotally, a high school friend posted on facebook that his mother spiked a 105+ fever and had to be hospitalized for a day after her 2nd shot.

My 2nd shot is in 2 weeks. I'm kinda nervous -- like, I don't think I'll die or anything but, I hate feeling sick and I'm really not looking forward to that part.

The completely anecdotal experience here is that people that Pfizer had less reactions on the second shot than those that got Moderna.  So, maybe that extra week makes it worse?

I got Moderna and the first shot I had a lot of soreness in the arm for a day or two.  The second shot I had less soreness but was more tired the next day and ended taking a half day off.  Now, that could have just been a bad night's sleep issue and unrelated.  But nothing major.
« Last post by ober on May 07, 2021, 12:17:34 PM »
My arm hurt for 2 days after the second and I was a little tired but otherwise I had no issues.  My wife just got her second and she felt like death for a full 24 hours - couldn't sleep, massive body aches, chest/back pain, couldn't lift her arm.  Then it all sort of lifted last night and she was doing much better this morning.
« Last post by Jake on May 07, 2021, 10:41:12 AM »
does the longer wait between shots reduce side-effects with the second dose?  Almost everyone I know who's gotten both shots has had somewhere between noticeably uncomfortable symptoms and straight-up feel-like-dying sickness for about a day after the second shot.  Anecdotally, a high school friend posted on facebook that his mother spiked a 105+ fever and had to be hospitalized for a day after her 2nd shot.

My 2nd shot is in 2 weeks. I'm kinda nervous -- like, I don't think I'll die or anything but, I hate feeling sick and I'm really not looking forward to that part.

I've seen the opposite from people that I know who took the shot: symptoms only after 1st shot, but not the second.

I'll wonder how my mom will do after second shot - she had flu like symptoms with temp 103+ for 48 hours after the first shot. My dad and grandparents had no side effects after first shot.
« Last post by micah on May 07, 2021, 09:15:05 AM »

« Last post by charlie on May 06, 2021, 03:00:46 PM »
I think it's a good call if you have limited supply. The length of time for the second dose is somewhat arbitrary and just based on what they tested. I believe it was even reduced from the expected optimal timeframe in order to speed up the trials. Since there is evidence that a single dose of the three vaccines in the U.S. all have high efficacy then I'm in favor of having a larger gap to the second dose.

That said, 4 months does seem like a long time. The 8 weeks in Poland sounds like a better balance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10