Author Topic: Samsung Continuum  (Read 6976 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Samsung Continuum
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-I400ZKAVZW

Anyone know anyone that has one?  It's basically the next revision of the Fascinate with better hardware and more bells and whistles.  My wife's Droid Eris is failing consistently so we're going to replace it when we get our tax return.  I like the stats and the details of this phone and I think she'll dig it too.

I've read some reviews but I want to know more or if I should shoot for something else.  She's on Verizon and doesn't want an iPhone when they're available.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Re: Samsung Continuum
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:15:39 PM »
I'm a little cautious on the Samsungs after the reports about them dragging their feet on releasing updates so people have to upgrade...also it sounds like at the end of the year, the Droid's with dual core processors will be coming - can she wait?

What's engadget say?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/08/samsung-continuum-first-hands-on/
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:24:01 AM »
Have you looked into the Galaxy S?

A few people here in the office have bough one here locally unlocked and it's a really good smartphone (from what I've been told).  I've played around with one of my coworkers and really good, quicker and lighter than my iPhone.

I thought about getting one but wasn't too keen on spending 170KD for the phone and 20KD a month for the Wataniya internet SIM chip.

(roughly $4 USD = 1 KD)
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 11:05:37 AM »
I'm a little cautious on the Samsungs after the reports about them dragging their feet on releasing updates so people have to upgrade...also it sounds like at the end of the year, the Droid's with dual core processors will be coming - can she wait?

What's engadget say?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/08/samsung-continuum-first-hands-on/
The whole waiting for update shit isn't limited to Samsung.  I would say that's Verizon-wide.  My wife still hasn't gotten her Android 2.2 update on her Droid Eris.  I fucking hate Verizon because of this.  Let the phone people do the phone shit, you fuckers just manage the network, m'kay?  /rant

Her current phone is a POS and she needs something now.  If I had better cash flow, I'd buy her one today but she's willing to wait until we get our tax return.

That engadget review isn't glowing but I read a review of it vs. the fascinate and they said definitely go with the continuum.  She's not a fan of the Droid phones (Motorola in general) and I don't really blame her.  They're not as sexy.

Drak, the Continuum is a Galaxy S phone.  Galaxy S is just a line of phones from what I understand?

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:16:26 AM »
Have you looked into the Galaxy S?

A few people here in the office have bough one here locally unlocked and it's a really good smartphone (from what I've been told).  I've played around with one of my coworkers and really good, quicker and lighter than my iPhone.

I thought about getting one but wasn't too keen on spending 170KD for the phone and 20KD a month for the Wataniya internet SIM chip.

(roughly $4 USD = 1 KD)
I have the Samsung captivate (an AT&T Galaxy S phone) and it's a good phone, but definitely not a great phone. The main problem is the GPS is completely useless. They even released an update to fix it (only took like 6 months), and it did absolutely nothing, so my guess is the hardware is crap and they were trying to cover it up (especially since some people claim they have no issues with the GPS). Samsung tech support also sucks balls.

I'd buy another Android phone, but never a Samsung.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:40:19 AM »
Fuck... don't tell me that.  The top 2 phones I'm looking at are Samsung.  And GPS is critical so that worries me.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »
Quote from: Lifehacker

In short, Samsung wants to charge carriers for features added to Android, the open source operating system that power the phones; carriers don't want to pay. So... that's annoying. [XDA Developers]

http://lifehacker.com/5736836/this-is-why-your-galaxy-s-phones-havent-updated-past-21

Samsung TVs  :thumbsup: Samsung Phones :disbelief:
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 03:17:21 PM »
Fuck... don't tell me that.  The top 2 phones I'm looking at are Samsung.  And GPS is critical so that worries me.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Well you've always got cell/wifi location which works well enough for me when I'm in a decent-sized town (which is 90% of the time), and I've got my Garmin handheld for the rest of the time. It's too bad though because the navigation though google maps is just as good as any car navigation I've seen...if the gps is working.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 03:47:17 PM »
My wife uses her phone as her sole GPS device so that can't be an 'iffy' thing.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
I was going to post here last week to say that I have a Samsung Europa (Budget Android Phone) and that I'm very happy with it.

Since then I have been having sms messages being resent to me randomly days after they were originally sent - (10 from my Brother in law since Saturday, 18 from my sister since last Wednesday). Rang my provider to be told that it's a Samsung thing and there's no definite fix yet. Looking on the net, this seems to be correct. So I'm faced with swapping my phone for another type of handset as there's no guarantee that a new one will have fixed this.  :mad:

Samsung always made pretty decent stuff as I see it. A few years ago their flat screen TVs were pretty damn good, but as far as mobile phones go - beware!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 08:59:54 AM »
Yeah, that's what I'm getting from every angle.  I love their TVs but I guess their phone engineers aren't as solid.  :(

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 10:58:39 AM »
Oh there's more...

I decided to try look for an update after my last post so installed the samsung update app (Kies or something) and sure enough there's a firmware update! So I started the install and it crashed towards the end effectively bricking my phone :(

Needless to say it's being collected tomorrow and I will be going back to my trusty old nokia for a while

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »
Yeah, that's what I'm getting from every angle.  I love their TVs but I guess their phone engineers aren't as solid.  :(

Well, yes and no. Years and years ago Samsung saw the majority of it's phones on Sprint, with limited Samsung phones on other networks. The reason being is Sprint funded Samsung's phone department with very deep pockets in an attempt to gain the edge with phone technology. They did great for a while, then Samsung violated contract to put phones on Verizon.

Obviously Sprint got pissed, and they changed gears to Sanyo. Since Verizon was not investing a dime into Samsung (and didn't) there were a lot of corners being cut, outsourcing, and new engineers at Samsung. Since then Samsung has never really bounced back in phones despite the financial status of the company. They continue to have quality issues like crazy.

On the flip side Sanyo made a ton of money with Sprint with phones like the 9000.

If i was with verizon i wouldnt buy anything but an droid. Verizon is communistic with phones.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 11:51:08 AM »
Wow!  Thanks for the information.  That explains a lot.  Oh the random information you hold.

And I think I'm going to try and talk my wife into an iPhone if she doesn't like the other Droid options.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 12:21:17 PM »
...they're a nice phone...

What about some of the other Droid vendors?  Motorolla?  HTC?