Author Topic: Bin Laden is Dead  (Read 9035 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Bin Laden is Dead
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 10:02:30 AM »
Why do you say that?

I wouldn't have known last night since I was working and probably would have went straight to bed but my wife happened to flip over to live TV and saw an announcement right after 11.  So then we stayed up until about 1AM watching everything.

Insane.

What is this live tv you speak of?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 10:08:52 AM »
My bad.  I didn't see that video.  I apologize for not seeing every news blooper from the past 12 hours.  There have been many.
I wasn't referencing that at all, I was just making a dumb joke that their names are similar

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 10:09:43 AM »
My bad.  I didn't see that video.  I apologize for not seeing every news blooper from the past 12 hours.  There have been many.
I wasn't referencing that at all, I was just making a dumb joke that their names are similar
Ha!  So you were just lucky

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 10:12:48 AM »
so is biden president now?
http://plixi.com/p/97957686
Wow, the people in the comments really need to pull the stick out of their ass.  Osama, Obama.... hmmm one letter difference in a news piece that references both.  I can easily see how someone typing quickly could have made such a typo.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »
Wow, the people in the comments really need to pull the stick out of their ass.  Osama, Obama.... hmmm one letter difference in a news piece that references both.  I can easily see how someone typing quickly could have made such a typo.
It's that type of attitude that leads to mistakes like that.  Seriously, if you're a national or even regional news organization, have someone double check your fucking work.  It's EXTREMELY unprofessional.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 10:26:51 AM »
It's this thing... kind of hard to describe.  We use it from time to time.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 10:31:10 AM »
It's this thing... kind of hard to describe.  We use it from time to time.

Is it tasty like bunny rabbits?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
It's that type of attitude that leads to mistakes like that.  Seriously, if you're a national or even regional news organization, have someone double check your fucking work.  It's EXTREMELY unprofessional.
So you've never made a typo?  I bet that someone did check it.  It is one fucking letter that can easily be overlooked.  Compound that with the amount of stuff going through really quickly (News is a race) it is reasonable to just point and laugh at their mistake.  They didn't do it on purpose.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »
Of course I've made typos.  But my shit isn't being viewed by hundreds, thousands, or millions of people.  Fox news had 'Usama Bin Laden' on their screen for several hours last night.  'Usama'???  Seriously? 

So fine, you have a typo.  That should still be checked and fixed rather quickly. 

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »
1) someone cue the video of ted kennedy calling obama "osama" during the primary race.

2) if you notice, ever since that time period, many news outlets (including fox news) have started spelling and pronouncing Bin Laden's name "Usama"
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 10:49:44 AM »
I have to think that 'Usama' must be somehow legit.  Because they wouldn't just leave that out there unchecked for so long without reason, right?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »
Of course I've made typos.  But my shit isn't being viewed by hundreds, thousands, or millions of people.  Fox news had 'Usama Bin Laden' on their screen for several hours last night.  'Usama'???  Seriously? 

So fine, you have a typo.  That should still be checked and fixed rather quickly. 
Ah, ignorance at it's finest.  Both Usama and Osama are commonly used spellings.  In fact FBI Most Wanted List has it as Usama.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
I have to think that 'Usama' must be somehow legit.  Because they wouldn't just leave that out there unchecked for so long without reason, right?
Usama's just an alternate spelling for Osama.  I've seen it used sporadically for the last few years.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 11:00:30 AM »
Yeah, I think you can spell it both ways. I have friends named "Umar" and "Omar" as well, and I think it is two englishifications of the same name.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 11:01:31 AM »
By the way, instead of bickering about name spellings, how about the real question... do you think this will have a big impact on Al-Qaeda's activities or is it just symbolic?