Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution  (Read 3723 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
« on: August 29, 2011, 08:14:18 AM »
I know that at least Knuck and jen have this so far - what does everyone think so far?

I think it's terrific - I'm decently far into it and am loving all the different options you've got to get anything done.  The callbacks (call-forward, I guess, since this is a prequel) are great as well.  Seeing references to Manderley and Bob Page and Versalife are pretty cool if you get them but it's not necessary for the game at all. 

My only complaint so far is that the voice acting (especially Jensen's) is terrible.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
Taking my time with it.  Enjoying it immensely.  Great work across the board.  Voice acting isn't thaat bad.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
It's not that bad overall, but Jensen sounds like a generic Clint Eastwood/Batman wannabe and the stuff in Detroit (from anyone who's black) is really really bad.

I don't know why it's so hard for game companies to get dialogue to sound natural.  You presume they'd hire professional voice actors, especially for a big budget game like this.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »
It's not that bad overall, but Jensen sounds like a generic Clint Eastwood/Batman wannabe and the stuff in Detroit (from anyone who's black) is really really bad.

I don't know why it's so hard for game companies to get dialogue to sound natural.  You presume they'd hire professional voice actors, especially for a big budget game like this.
I'd buy it but Game Stop is stealing stuff out of them.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
What?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/24/technology/gamestop_coupons/

Basically:  The box comes with a coupon for an online version of the game that Game Stop sees as competition.  So they instructed their employees to open the boxes and take out the coupon before reselling them.  They got called out about it and are now not selling the game until boxes come to them without the coupon.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »
Oh.  So go buy it at one of the other million places.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 05:30:06 PM »
Oh.  So go buy it at one of the other million places.
But those places aren't on my way home.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 05:34:47 PM »
If you would have ordered it from amazon or someone, you'd have it by now AND not have to make a detour!  If you buy it on Steam, you could have it tonight!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 05:48:40 PM »
If you would have ordered it from amazon or someone, you'd have it by now AND not have to make a detour!  If you buy it on Steam, you could have it tonight!
FUCK STEAM!

Honestly, I forgot about this game until it a few days ago.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 05:53:46 PM »
Pretty soon Steam will just find games you post about on the internet and download them straight into your brain.  It'll go easier if you just buy it first.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »
Pretty soon Steam will just find games you post about on the internet and download them straight into your brain.  It'll go easier if you just buy it first.
Will it still take a screenshot every time I try to quick save?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »

Some do.

I thought Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age 1 and 2, Arkham Asylum, Bioshock 1, and Metro 2033 all handled the voice acting professionally.  Though there wasn't any real hard hitting story, Bulletstorm had good voice acting.  It had me laughing repeatedly.  By good voice acting, I mean well and convincingly delivered.  Poor scripts are no fault of the actor or actress.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 09:03:32 AM »
Good voice acting is still the exception rather than the rule.  I think the script in DX is fine, but most of the line deliveries feel stilted and unnatural.