Author Topic: Single/dual proc and 2K Pro  (Read 3009 times)

Howdy

• Spin the big ring
  • Jackass III
  • 2nd best friend
Single/dual proc and 2K Pro
« on: September 18, 2005, 07:15:24 PM »
Howdy,
  Not getting into all of the sticky details, with a little help from my fater in law one of my boxes got fried, seems the CPU fan just "disconnected" before he turned on the box.
  I've taken the HDD out of that one and made it the Primary in my dual proc box. At this point it only sees one proc, thats how it was set up in the old box.
  My Question: can I get 2K Pro to see both procs without reloading the OS.

M.R.
When you think they're sending obvious signals, then, you're obviously misleading yourself.
Microbe
3,996 (218:59:49 hours) miles of my 7,000 mile goal this year

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 01:38:23 PM »
I don't have a definitive answer or a way to do it, but the OS should not be dependent on the number of CPUs.  I'd search the MS site for an answer.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 02:15:30 PM »
Windows 2000 recognizes dual processors just fine when upgrading from NT 4.0. But a "clean install" of W2K sees only one processor. This cuts your PC's performance. In NT, the Uptomp.exe utility adds multiprocessor support. But in Windows 2000, you fix the problem using Device Manager. Heres what i dug up

Step 1. Log on to the W2K machine with Administrator privileges.

Step 2. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, and open the System applet.

Step 3. Click the Hardware tab, then click Device Manager. Expand the Computer branch. You see a line describing a single-processor PC.

Step 4. Double-click this line, then click the Driver tab, then Update Driver, Next. Display the list of known drivers, then click Next and click "Show all hardware of this device class." Select the same type of computer you have, but choose a "multiprocessor PC." Click Next, then Finish, and you're done.

Microsoft says W2K also sometimes does not recognize dual processors when it's installed over Windows 98 across a network. The same steps may help you in that case.

Microsoft cautions that you shouldn't perform this change to support a new BIOS. For example, if you upgrade an older BIOS to a new one that supports the ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface), you must reinstall Windows 2000 as an upgrade.

For the correct procedure, read about dual processors at search.microsoft.com/us/default.asp. Search for Q237556 and Q234558.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?