Author Topic: GOP Presidential debate  (Read 10439 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: GOP Presidential debate
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »
You can avoid buying gasoline or cigarettes too but that doesn't mean that there's not a tax as part of the purchase price.  The price of a lottery ticket just happens to be almost all tax.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 11:25:50 AM »
Is gas really optional?

I'm not debating the taxes on those things, I have no problem with that. But how is the lottery a tax on poor people?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »
In theory, of course gas is optional

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 11:29:55 AM »

just like health insurance, right?   :devil:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 11:31:17 AM »
Who cares? It's just a simile. It's like a tax.

Of course, I've been hearing about inflation fears from libertarians for a while now (I have political discussions with hard core libertarians on another site), but still nothing serious has happened. I'm curious whether you really believe inflation will be an issue within months, incognito.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 11:32:54 AM »

Not in the sense of the lottery. Your comparison of the two as optional seems like a pretty big stretch.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 11:42:34 AM »
> High taxes, etc

God I'm sick of hearing this.  Tax rates are lower right now than they have been for a very long time.

I agree that our income taxes are LOW at this point in time, however your graph does not show sales taxes, property taxes, etc etc. Although, none of those are federal taxes, but they all bear weight and have been on the rise. As income tax goes down, almost all other taxes go up...
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 11:43:21 AM »

Yep, just like health insurance, the army, and anything else I don't use

Steve: If I wanted to, I wouldn't have to buy any gas at all.  I could easily walk or bike to work or shopping in my area.  As it is, I only buy gas once a month or so

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 11:44:01 AM »
> High taxes, etc

God I'm sick of hearing this.  Tax rates are lower right now than they have been for a very long time.

I agree that our income taxes are LOW at this point in time, however your graph does not show sales taxes, property taxes, etc etc. Although, none of those are federal taxes, but they all bear weight and have been on the rise. As income tax goes down, almost all other taxes go up...
Nothing in this conversation is in regard to local or state taxes (besides the lottery, which isn't national).

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »

Yep, just like health insurance, the army, and anything else I don't use

Steve: If I wanted to, I wouldn't have to buy any gas at all.  I could easily walk or bike to work or shopping in my area.  As it is, I only buy gas once a month or so

what about in an emergency?

I realize that works for you, but imagine the country part of America. Out here you can't hardly bike anywhere let alone walk, and so much of our equipment relies on gas and diesel to run.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 11:51:59 AM »
> what about in an emergency?

Then I'd call an ambulance? 

> I realize that works for you, but imagine the country part of America.

I'm totally aware of that.  The point is that for some people gasoline (and the taxes on it) is an optional thing.  The fact that you're buying something optional that has a tax on it doesn't make it any less of a tax.

incognito

• In the Abis
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 12:11:07 PM »
> High taxes, etc

Nothing in this conversation is in regard to local or state taxes (besides the lottery, which isn't national).

I did reference state/municipal taxes government and taxes :D.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:17:53 PM by incognito_coder »

incognito

• In the Abis
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »
Who cares? It's just a simile. It's like a tax.

Of course, I've been hearing about inflation fears from libertarians for a while now (I have political discussions with hard core libertarians on another site), but still nothing serious has happened. I'm curious whether you really believe inflation will be an issue within months, incognito.

It's hard to say; but there's a good possibility. It's a very delicate balance between deflation and inflation that Bernanke is trying but we'll see.

History tells us that printing money left and right is a very risky business. We may not get into hyperinflation (i sure hope not), but i think we will feel inflation at some point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation

If we keep bailing out Europe and Europe defaults we'll end up with a lot of bad debt in our hands. Again the Fed made this decision and it wasn't approved by the people.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:52:13 PM by incognito_coder »

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2011, 12:58:47 PM »
Perhaps your taxes are too high incognito cause taxes on The highest are lower than they have been since the depression....hmmmmm....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
> High taxes, etc

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2011-05-05-tax-cut-record-low_n.htm

Americans are paying the smallest share of their income for taxes since 1958, a reflection of tax cuts and a weak economy, a USA TODAY analysis finds.

The total tax burden — for all federal, state and local taxes — dropped to 23.6% of income in the first quarter, according to Bureau of Economic Analysis data.