Author Topic: steam?  (Read 8992 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
steam?
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:12:13 PM »
who can easily explain what steam is? MW3 runs on "steam" - what is it? what does it do for me? tips tricks?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: steam?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:13:56 PM »
Steam is an anti-piracy / game managment system.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 07:14:11 PM »
and it is more evil than AOL
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
Just because you fail at using steam doesn't mean it's evil.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »
and it is more evil than AOL

Bullshit.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 07:38:35 PM »
who can easily explain what steam is? MW3 runs on "steam" - what is it? what does it do for me? tips tricks?
It is a damn annoying delivery system for games/updates/extras/etc.  And it doesn't really do anything for you but some games are only available on steam so you are arsed out if you want to play that game.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »

As digital download services go Steam is the best I have used.  What few issues I have had over the years were quickly dealt with to my satisfaction.  They have great sales and the best overall selection of games in a single service.  They much like any service aren't perfect, but I recommend them wholeheartedly.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 07:46:14 PM »
It is a damn annoying delivery system for games/updates/extras/etc.  And it doesn't really do anything for you but some games are only available on steam so you are arsed out if you want to play that game.

Sure it does.  It keeps you from having to purchase, store, and maintain your software, keeps games auto-updated, safely stores your gaming library indefinitely, generally has unobtrusive anti-piracy built in (except for GFW crap), and has the best prices in the industry during their seasonal sales.  Really, no other similar service comes close.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »
Steam is great and its not going anywhere. Get over it

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 08:23:24 PM »
I don't play shit that requires Steam unless there is a crack to bypass it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »
Steam is great
My experiences have been meh at best and hair pulling frustrating at worst.  So, IMO, it isn't great.  It isn't bad but it isn't great.  More often than not it has just been an irritation.

and its not going anywhere. Get over it
Probably not going anywhere in the near future but it'll go away eventually.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 08:51:05 PM »
The cool thing about steam is that you can install games in your library on as many computers as you want (you can just only be playing from one at a time). You can log into your account from any machine and play any game from your library.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 08:52:49 PM »
Origin/Steam... same deal.  I think these types of managers are going to become more and more commonplace.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 09:00:24 PM »
Steam ruined HL2 for me all because I forgot my steam info and could not retrieve it. Even though I had all the original crap and my receipt they told me to fuck off and buy another copy.

Fuck steam. I stood in line for hours to get my pre-ordered copy of the collectors edition and for what? To be told two months later to piss of because some gay system they created wouldn't let me in.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 09:46:19 PM »
Origin/Steam... same deal.  I think these types of managers are going to become more and more commonplace.

Not even close.  See above reasons.  Yes.  They will.