Author Topic: Pebble  (Read 7268 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Pebble
« on: July 13, 2012, 10:46:16 AM »
Did any of you jump on the Pebble bandwagon? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

I was going to contribute when they were around 2 million, but I restrained myself from buying another toy. Then near the end I caved and contributed. They're supposed to ship in September but I'd honestly be surprised if they all make it out before x-mas.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Pebble
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
Neat.  Review it when you get it.  I for one will be interested.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 03:30:45 AM »
do you get your money back if they fail?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 07:47:01 AM »
I don't think so, not if they reach their funding level....given How popular pebble was....I doubt it'll fail....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »
do you get your money back if they fail?

Nope, it's a risk. But you could sue them, and since it's the US I bet a lot of people would sue a failed project.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »
.... also, this company is founded by Waterloo grads, they won't fail* ;)

*No RIM jokes allowed.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »
Napoleon joke

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 11:53:37 AM »
>>*No RIM jokes allowed

:rofl2:
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »
I guess I'm in the minority here.  I don't really see a need for this device.  I can just as easily strap my phone to myself and you'd need it in close proximity either way.  So I don't see a huge advantage.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 09:59:57 AM »
You can see updates without having to take your phone out of it's case or out of your bag. You can also control music and things like that while having you're hands free. I think there's a market for that.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 11:21:14 AM »
They had a $100,000 goal and raised over $10 million. That's unbelievable. The best part is they get all of their venture capital essentially by pre-sales. They didn't have to give up any ownership of their company to investors.

What would you do next if this was your company? I suspect they will try to stay independent and keep developing products (keeping the dream alive). I think the smart thing to do would be to sell the company while it's hot (Apple, maybe MS or Samsung) at a 1 billion dollar valuation (completely outrageously overvalued, but somehow normal in today's techworld).

Look at what just happened to Digg, they just sold for $500,000. They were offered somewhere around $16 million by Google a few years back and turned it down. Dumb dumb dumb.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 09:47:30 AM »
You can see updates without having to take your phone out of it's case or out of your bag. You can also control music and things like that while having you're hands free. I think there's a market for that.
The first part would be kind of cool, I guess, until everyone buys their google glasses.  The other thing that bothers me about this model is that most people don't wear watches now.  My boss actually mocked me and asked me if I was 'literally the last person that still wears a watch'.  So you're now trying to get people to wear something that they've already ditched.

My phone is always in my pocket so it's not hard for me to whip it out (easy you sick fucks) and jump to the next song or whatever.  And technically that's not hands free.  You have to bring your hand close to your face and use your other one to work the controls.  You might as well use a bluetooth headset with voice control if you want truly hands-free.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 09:51:21 AM »
if I was 'literally the last person that still wears a watch'.

I think you are.  Though I did wish I had one while camping this weekend.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »
> So you're now trying to get people to wear something that they've already ditched.

A few months ago I heard a story that watch wearing is actually on the rise in some demographics but mostly for fashion.  If people decide these look cool enough they might start wearing them

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »
> So you're now trying to get people to wear something that they've already ditched.

A few months ago I heard a story that watch wearing is actually on the rise in some demographics but mostly for fashion.  If people decide these look cool enough they might start wearing them

I feel really strange if I don't have my watch on at work - I rarely forget it, and if I do I usually make a trip back to get it. However, once I get home, it comes right off. I've been wearing a watch since I was in my teens - albeit not the same one!

I have a Citizen EcoDrive - I got it from my folks 5 or 6 years ago on my birthday. It is really great.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.