Author Topic: Jake (Wood question)  (Read 2218 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Jake (Wood question)
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:24:57 PM »
I picked up a couple small fishing nets with wooden handles for $0.25 each. They are new condition, but I want to make them collapse-able to go into backpacks for hiking, survival, whatever. They are around 2.5 feet right now which is just a bit too long. I could shorten the handles, but I would like to fit them in without taking away from the length.

I plan to cut the wooden handle as close to the end where the net is without disrupting the "anchoring" of the net that is inside the shaft. The handles do not appear to be hollow.

My question is, would it be effective to drill a hole and secure a wooden dowel so I can just slide them together? Or should I use a screw shaft and a nut?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Jake (Wood question)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »
Have you thought of a hinge? (I'm assuming the handle is also not a dowel shape for this to work)

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 05:28:13 PM »
it's a round handle, maybe 2.5 inches around at the most.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 08:53:27 PM »
Stuff like that is not easy to make and often cheaper to buy pre made. If you want to pursue it though i would do something similar to how a two piece pool cue works.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »
Stuff like that is not easy to make and often cheaper to buy pre made. If you want to pursue it though i would do something similar to how a two piece pool cue works.

Thats what I mean, a threaded shaft and a nut on the other end, like a pool cue. Shouldn't be too hard, all I need to do is cut the shaft, drill two holes, and secure the rod / nut. Just wanted to make sure that was the best method of doing it, had my doubts about the dowel.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
Worked perfect. Cut right through the handle a few inches short of halfway, on the net size. Drilled two holes, one got the threaded rod the other a female collar. Put a wood epoxy in there, drove them into the holes and let it sit a while. Screws together solid and fits in the pack great.

Thanks Jake