Author Topic: Netbeans?  (Read 11330 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Netbeans?
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 08:02:20 PM »
I have to agree with Rob that RAD was a huge pro of VB when I used it.  Now I can't imagine going back to a systems based language.  Granted my work in Java is somewhat along those lines, but it is still writing for a web platform so we don't have to worry about different OSes and shit.  But I also felt handcuffed by VB.NET when I used it.  Like you had to develop in a box.  Using PHP and the other tools I'm used to seems so much more 'free'.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
Tried it... didn't like it.

Eclipse at work, PHPDesigner at home.

Ober, would you recommend PHPDesigner 8? I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it but I just checked it out and it looks like exactly what I need to replace dreamweaver at home.   Dreamweaver is nice at work but there's no way I want to pay for it at home on my PC.  I'd dish out ~$40 though for a good IDE.  Worth it?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »
I liked PHPD
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
I've tried a lot of IDEs for PHP and I renew PHPDesigner every year (upgrades).  Upgrades are discounted too.  It does a lot for me and saves me a lot of time.  I actually wish Eclipse did some of the things that PHPD does in terms of code completion and suggestions.  There is a visual piece to PHPD but I cringe anytime anyone says 'dreamweaver'.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 03:37:50 PM »
I've tried a lot of IDEs for PHP and I renew PHPDesigner every year (upgrades).  Upgrades are discounted too.  It does a lot for me and saves me a lot of time.  I actually wish Eclipse did some of the things that PHPD does in terms of code completion and suggestions.  There is a visual piece to PHPD but I cringe anytime anyone says 'dreamweaver'.

To be clear, I never (and I literally mean never) use the design view in dreamweaver (especially since most of my work is server side code and I don't develop on localhost.)  But the code completion, syntax highlighting and error catching has saved me hundreds of hours debugging problems from silly mistakes like misspelling syntax or forgetting a semicolon or extra bracket.  And the built in site management and FTP tools are invaluable time savers compared to running a separate FTP program outside the IDE.   

Version CS6 is a little buggy though.  It crashes about once a week and for some reason, sometimes the code-suggestion tool tips don't disappear.  I'm hoping they'll fix that in an update soon.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »
If you're doing PHP development I'd at least download it and trial it.  It does have the built in FTP management (upload on save even).  I still use Filezilla because I probably save 10 times per upload.  And the built in syntax check and stuff is awesome.  Oh, and the OOO management is pretty good too.  You can pull up a tree like structure of the class and quickly search through the methods, class variables, etc.  The same is true for CSS.  There is a filter box on the one view of the file that you can just start typing to find a class or ID.  VERY handy.  I had to download a plugin to get that in Eclipse.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 10:32:23 PM »
If you're doing PHP development I'd at least download it and trial it.  It does have the built in FTP management (upload on save even).  I still use Filezilla because I probably save 10 times per upload.  And the built in syntax check and stuff is awesome.  Oh, and the OOO management is pretty good too.  You can pull up a tree like structure of the class and quickly search through the methods, class variables, etc.  The same is true for CSS.  There is a filter box on the one view of the file that you can just start typing to find a class or ID.  VERY handy.  I had to download a plugin to get that in Eclipse.

When I was using it I loved the hell out of the auto-upload when I would hit save. Now for PHP I just have FileZilla set to open Geany anytime I right click and hit edit. When you hit save in Geany, FileZilla automatically uploads the new version.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
Back in December I installed the trial version of phpDesigner8 but could not get it to FTP to any of my sites and after several hours trying to set it up and gave up on it.  Then, the other night I decided I really need an IDE at home for personal work (instead of doing everything on my work laptop).  My trial had expired so I bought the license.  As soon as I registered it the FTP started working - I didn't change any of my previous settings.  I thought the trial was supposed to be fully featured but I guess not.

Anyway, I spent a good three hours in it last night.  I love it!  It does everything that I use in dreamweaver cs6 but for $40.  The trade off is lack of native support for phoneGap but it makes up for it with GIT support that is lacking in Adobe's product.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »
Speaking of editors:

Since I've started at the new job I've become a VIM convert.  Part it was finding some kick ass plugins and seeing the depth of the plugin community.  There are a few meta plugins that will download the plugins from github and allow you to update them.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 08:30:40 PM »
Back in December I installed the trial version of phpDesigner8 but could not get it to FTP to any of my sites and after several hours trying to set it up and gave up on it.  Then, the other night I decided I really need an IDE at home for personal work (instead of doing everything on my work laptop).  My trial had expired so I bought the license.  As soon as I registered it the FTP started working - I didn't change any of my previous settings.  I thought the trial was supposed to be fully featured but I guess not.

Anyway, I spent a good three hours in it last night.  I love it!  It does everything that I use in dreamweaver cs6 but for $40.  The trade off is lack of native support for phoneGap but it makes up for it with GIT support that is lacking in Adobe's product.

+1

As a side note, the interview I did today indicated they use NetBeans as their IDE.  I've really fallen in love with Eclipse for Java work though.  Not that this job is a sure thing, but I'll put more details in the other thread.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
Hey Ober, do you use the FTP functionality built into phpDesigner?  It was kinda a selling point for me but I'm finding it frustrating to use -- or at least figure out. 

In dreamweaver, when you set up an FTP location you link it to a local folder on your computer.  Then you get and send files, to and from that folder.  So I usually work on my files in that local file and then hit "upload" when I'm ready to put them on the server.

In phpDesigner, so far the best I can figure is, the FTP simply connects you to the remote server where you can view, edit, save any file on the server but it doesn't automatically download the file when you open it.  You can import and export files to a local folder that you pick ad-hoc but the work flow seems really disjointed.  Am I missing something? or is the FTP feature just not as robust as I was hoping?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »
I haven't used it for probably 2 years.  And even then I didn't mess with it very much.  Really the only thing I was looking for was me saving a file and it automatically uploading the file.  And it was only me working on it at the time so I didn't care to have it download files when I opened them.  If you have more than 1 person working on it, your local should probably be on a dropbox or something to sync locally.  I use Filezilla to transfer files.  I don't use the built-in one.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2013, 11:45:48 PM »
Speaking of editors:

Since I've started at the new job I've become a VIM convert.  Part it was finding some kick ass plugins and seeing the depth of the plugin community.  There are a few meta plugins that will download the plugins from github and allow you to update them.

I've been using VIM quite a bit as my main editor lately as well. A bunch of guys that I worked with were pretty good with it. It's still taking me time to get used to but I can do most of what I need. Debugging is still better done in a fuller featured IDE. At some point I think I might end up making a few of my own plugins to really make the environment my own. Best part, it goes with whatever project I'm working on and works on every computer the same way. Just a set of . directories and I'm all set on a new machine.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 11:56:25 PM »
Debugger?  Oh you mean print statements :P