Author Topic: ES Book Club - revived  (Read 6748 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
ES Book Club - revived
« on: October 19, 2005, 01:48:38 PM »
Ethic started a thread (and deleted it) about starting a book club. I know we've tried this both at OFD and at jboard, but I'd like to give it another try. This time with longer periods for finishing the book.

With that said, all who'd like to join in say ay! and give book/story suggestions as well as other ideas for the club.

I think we should generally stick to fiction, but if anyone else has a good proposal about other genres, go right ahead. Also, lets stick to relatively short books, <200pgs. The books should be relatively easy to read, and should be entertaining – no one wants this to be a drag – “slaughter house five” was an excellent choice the last time we did this.

My first suggestion is two short stories by Edgar Allen Poe; one is widely read, and the other a bit less known but also great: “The Fall of The House of Usher,” and “The Purloined Letter.” Both are about 15 pages long, so if anyone else wants to add to this, go right ahead. Both can be relatively easily found online or in your library if you don’t already own a copy.

Mention something in your reply if you’d like to read these for the first “meeting”.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 01:58:22 PM »
House of Usher is one of my favorite short stories ever.  I'm in.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 02:14:17 PM »
cool :) "The Purloined Letter" could be found under volume 2 of the collected works in the link I gave in the op
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ahluka

• Jackass IV
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 03:23:39 PM »
I'm reading the latest Adrian Mole right now - pretty good so far.
Before that I read Masters of Doom which was quite interesting, sort of a mix of fiction and non-fiction. If I had more reading time I'd say I'm in, so I'll just say I'm sort of in :)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 11:56:12 AM »
well, we only have three, possibly four, folks that want to do this :( lets wait one more day before setting up any dates.

>>my local
b&n doesn't have it.<<

this is one of the most popular works of fiction...all major bookstores have tons of it.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 04:50:53 PM »
I would be interested, I have been meaning to pick up a book for a while, so Im game for anything :)

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 06:03:29 PM »
poe poe poe poe poe poe poe poe poe poe poe poe...
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 08:16:50 PM »
Hey, let's all read the Canon!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 11:15:59 PM »
well then, since there is at least a small interest in this, lets set some dates. Even though the Poe stories are quite short, lets make the end date in three weeks - so Novemer 2nd - because I like Wednesdays.

Next week I'll make a seperate thread for discussion and lets leave it only for that.

Within the next three weeks lets try to pick another book/story and it would be nice if it will be done in this thread. So far there is one serious suggestion from ethic (because I don't understand Stealth's) and that is:

"We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin. I own this book so its all good :) I've read it some time ago and wouldn't mind reading it again. For those afraid of the title/author it is a book that supposedly inspired both orwell's "1984" and Huxley's "A brave new world" - good stuff. FYI it is intelligent sci fi.

If we do decide on "We" we should all probably read the same translation - I own a '93 version translated by Clarence Brown; it is the same one I link to above, and that is only 221 pages :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 10:14:28 AM by axon »

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 09:12:29 PM »
limits are pointless...its better to say read upto chapter X by this time. But overall I'd drop it alltogether. The people who have finished reading beforehand can discuss the material...the others can read it on their own discretion.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 11:13:12 PM »
Just to clarify, we are reading The Purloined Letter?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 12:40:49 AM »
Quote from: Canuck
Just to clarify, we are reading The Purloined Letter?

yes, and "the house of usher"

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 02:43:47 AM »
Quote from: ethic
I can't find the other one (Purloined Letter) anywhere. :( :mad:

I linked to it in the the original post. Also, you could buy complete collected works of Poe and it will be in there :)

edit:: BTW, everyone should own the complete works of Poe ;)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 11:57:15 AM »
:rolleyes:

^click the smilie - and that story is on page 125 :p

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
ES Book Club - revived
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 03:08:39 PM »
Quote from: axon
I linked to it in the the original post. Also, you could buy complete collected works of Poe and it will be in there :)

edit:: BTW, everyone should own the complete works of Poe ;)
i have my copy!!!
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez