Author Topic: California vacation  (Read 7385 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: California vacation
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 12:27:36 AM »
Thantor, any suggestions from you regarding great hikes?
The hikes I didn't wouldn't be good for kids.  I went to Tahoe and El Dorado national forests with a map and supplies and started walking trails.  Then I'd make a turn off and see what was out there and then eventually use the map and compass to find my way back to the trail.  I've avoided Yosemite mainly because it is so popular and I want to get away.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 12:36:54 AM »
Rule of thumb is about $2/mile. CDT looks to be about 2,800 miles. So, $5,600 should cover it. Maybe. I don't know who who came up with that rule and how fast they hiked. 

I'm setting that as my minimum, though. Hiking on a budget sucks. Gear breaks and needs replacing; sometimes you really need to spring for a few nights in a motel because you packed out cheese from the last town and it went bad and now you're super-sick.

I probably spent $400 just on 5-hour Energies, though I'm hoping to not have to rely on those as much this time.

I'll have to get a new down jacket though. The one I have now isn't adequate. The one I really want is the Western Mountaineering Flash, but it's a little expensive. Might have to go with something cheaper.

I would guess food would be the biggest part of that expense? $5.6K is a lot of money. What gear could break?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 12:40:27 AM »
I'll have to get a new down jacket though. The one I have now isn't adequate. The one I really want is the Western Mountaineering Flash, but it's a little expensive. Might have to go with something cheaper.

holy cow, it is only 8oz!!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 12:45:42 AM »

holy cow, it is only 8oz!!

Out of curiosity I checked the weight of the last coat I got - and it shows it is 12oz. Seems much heavier than 12oz. But it is awesome.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 08:52:04 PM »
I expect to go through 6 pairs of shoes at $120 each (Altra Lone Peaks)

no shit? do you think there is a shoe out there that would last the entire trip?

Socks wear out fast, and those can be $15-$20/pair

good socks are expensive, that's true. A lot of people underestimate the importance of good socks. What do you wear?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 09:58:12 PM »
Go WOOL!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 09:59:28 PM »
Go WOOL!

for sure. Wool is the best. But if you can't afford wool just get something synthetic.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 10:11:06 PM »
I tried some Brooks Cascadias when I went back up there in August to finish that section I missed last year

you finished!? nice. Proud of you!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 12:13:36 AM »
The question I have is how do you find a job that is cool with you leaving for 5 months?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 10:20:11 PM »
well, instead of Cali we ended up booking a vacation in Mexico...

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 10:46:27 PM »
Well, we didn't want you anyways :P

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 10:55:45 PM »
Ha ha.

Good luck with that!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 10:19:12 AM »
but I want to go to the mountains!!!!

I think a lazy vacation is important too, however.

If things are good this year [read: $$$$] we will hit the mountains in August.