Author Topic: Connected devices  (Read 4911 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Connected devices
« on: February 08, 2020, 05:24:24 PM »
How many devices do you have that connect to your internet/wifi?

The recent thread made me look up the orbi and it said "up to 20 devices" and I thought, that's not enough for this (upper?) middle-class family of four. We upgraded our cable internet with Comcast/Xfinity recently and I thought I saw something about after more than 8 devices it reduces speeds, so I went on the router page and looked up what was connected. I've got this list:

2 Laptops
2 Chromebooks
Printer
4 iPhones
iPad
Kindle
AppleTV
Fire Stick
Roku
Harmony Hub
2 Echos
2 Echo Dots
2 Smart Plugs
Wii
XBox
Squeezebox (smart radio)

That's 24 total.

And that's with only 1 TV in the whole house (we used to have a second which would add a SmartTV and AppleTV to the list), only 2 smart plugs (we have a couple more we're not using) and a desktop PC with a wired connection.

Is that excessive?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Connected devices
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 08:25:45 PM »
How many devices do you have that connect to your internet/wifi?

The recent thread made me look up the orbi and it said "up to 20 devices" and I thought, that's not enough for this (upper?) middle-class family of four.
Where did you see that limitation?  https://kb.netgear.com/31097/How-many-devices-can-my-Orbi-system-support puts it at 250 devices but recommends limiting to 50 devices if doing HD streaming and gaming.

We upgraded our cable internet with Comcast/Xfinity recently and I thought I saw something about after more than 8 devices it reduces speeds, so I went on the router page and looked up what was connected. I've got this list:

2 Laptops
2 Chromebooks
Printer
4 iPhones
iPad
Kindle
AppleTV
Fire Stick
Roku
Harmony Hub
2 Echos
2 Echo Dots
2 Smart Plugs
Wii
XBox
Squeezebox (smart radio)

That's 24 total.

And that's with only 1 TV in the whole house (we used to have a second which would add a SmartTV and AppleTV to the list), only 2 smart plugs (we have a couple more we're not using) and a desktop PC with a wired connection.

Is that excessive?
I've got 15 devices connected right now.  There are probably a few more that are just office.  Though, we intentionally do not have any of the echos or similar products.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 04:27:35 PM »
The recent thread made me look up the orbi and it said "up to 20 devices"
Where did you see that limitation?  https://kb.netgear.com/31097/How-many-devices-can-my-Orbi-system-support puts it at 250 devices but recommends limiting to 50 devices if doing HD streaming and gaming.

NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 2.2Gbps speed (RBK23) (https://smile.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-Whole-Home-System/dp/B07CQDHPFT)

"No more dead zones: whole home Mesh Wi-Fi coverage of up to 6, 000 sq. Ft. And 20 devices. Mesh technology helps you stay connected as you roam around your home using a single network name."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 11:43:01 PM »
This is just off the top of my head:

2 Roku Tvs
1 Roku (external unit)
2 PCs
4 iPhones
Switch
PS4
Xbox 360
Wii U
4 iPads
1 Laptop
Security Cameras
Ring Camera
Printer
Nest Thermostat
6 smart plugs but only 2 in use at the moment

23?  I think that's sort of common?

For some reason I either don't have the right address or can't remember the right IP for the router or I would double check that. 

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 12:20:12 AM »
192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 will get you the vast majority.  If that doesn't work open a shell and run ipconfig and the router is going to be the default gateway

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 10:42:54 AM »
I swear it was 192.168.1.1... I could have just reached down under my desk and looked at the address on the router... but I was tired.  LOL

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 12:18:08 PM »
2 PCs
2 Laptops
2 Printers
1 Tablet
2-3 Phones
2 Rokus
2 TVs (actually we just got rid of one TV+Roku)
1 PS4
1 Wii U
1 Smart Thermostat
3 Dots
1 Google Home
1 Smart Plug (but currently not plugged in)
1 Ring Camera
4 IP Security cameras
5 Internal cameras

So if you don't include the stuff not plugged in, it's less than 30.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 01:47:17 PM »
2 Desktop PCs
1 Work laptop (when I'm working at home)
1 Chromecast
1 Roku
2 Google home (home + mini)
1 Philips Hue Hub + 6 lightbulbs (but I think they're on the hub network, not the main router)
4 cellphones (2 are old ones my kids use)
1 Air conditioner

Thats what's active; there's a bunch of old stuff like tablets and a lap top that's hasn't been used in a couple years still listed...along with a couple amazon echo dots that I don't have turned on any more

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 10:17:22 AM »
2x nestcam
1 nest hello
1 nest thermostat
2 nest smoke alarms
1 wink hub
1 roomba
1 Google home hub
1 Google home mini
3 tablets
2 phones
2 laptops
1 smart TV
2 chrome casts
2 firesticks
1 printer

23 or so connected to wifi. +5 z-wave devices connected to the wink hub.

Last year I got a new wifi router which wouldn't let me use the same password as my old router (wouldn't allow a special character). So I had to create a new wifi password and update every connected device, what a huge pain in the ass that was! I was pretty surprised to find how many things we actually have connected.