Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65013 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #390 on: May 06, 2021, 01:51:54 PM »
Oh, I've heard the reasoning behind it.  But I have also worked in the clinical trial world and saw some of the adverse events when people don't do what the manufacturers suggest.  Some of that shit is nightmare fuel.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #391 on: May 06, 2021, 02:08:55 PM »
> I'm shocked that other places are taking the chance against the recommendation.

The idea is that it's better for more people to get their first shot fast, rather than half as many people getting both shots 3 weeks apart. But it's a theory with no evidence so... :dunno:

that's the same thing they are doing in Poland. My folks had the first shot 4 weeks ago but have to wait for the second until mid June.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #392 on: May 06, 2021, 03:00:46 PM »
I think it's a good call if you have limited supply. The length of time for the second dose is somewhat arbitrary and just based on what they tested. I believe it was even reduced from the expected optimal timeframe in order to speed up the trials. Since there is evidence that a single dose of the three vaccines in the U.S. all have high efficacy then I'm in favor of having a larger gap to the second dose.

That said, 4 months does seem like a long time. The 8 weeks in Poland sounds like a better balance.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #393 on: May 07, 2021, 09:15:05 AM »
does the longer wait between shots reduce side-effects with the second dose?  Almost everyone I know who's gotten both shots has had somewhere between noticeably uncomfortable symptoms and straight-up feel-like-dying sickness for about a day after the second shot.  Anecdotally, a high school friend posted on facebook that his mother spiked a 105+ fever and had to be hospitalized for a day after her 2nd shot.

My 2nd shot is in 2 weeks. I'm kinda nervous -- like, I don't think I'll die or anything but, I hate feeling sick and I'm really not looking forward to that part.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #394 on: May 07, 2021, 10:41:12 AM »
does the longer wait between shots reduce side-effects with the second dose?  Almost everyone I know who's gotten both shots has had somewhere between noticeably uncomfortable symptoms and straight-up feel-like-dying sickness for about a day after the second shot.  Anecdotally, a high school friend posted on facebook that his mother spiked a 105+ fever and had to be hospitalized for a day after her 2nd shot.

My 2nd shot is in 2 weeks. I'm kinda nervous -- like, I don't think I'll die or anything but, I hate feeling sick and I'm really not looking forward to that part.

I've seen the opposite from people that I know who took the shot: symptoms only after 1st shot, but not the second.

I'll wonder how my mom will do after second shot - she had flu like symptoms with temp 103+ for 48 hours after the first shot. My dad and grandparents had no side effects after first shot.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #395 on: May 07, 2021, 12:17:34 PM »
My arm hurt for 2 days after the second and I was a little tired but otherwise I had no issues.  My wife just got her second and she felt like death for a full 24 hours - couldn't sleep, massive body aches, chest/back pain, couldn't lift her arm.  Then it all sort of lifted last night and she was doing much better this morning.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #396 on: May 07, 2021, 03:47:41 PM »

The completely anecdotal experience here is that people that Pfizer had less reactions on the second shot than those that got Moderna.  So, maybe that extra week makes it worse?

I got Moderna and the first shot I had a lot of soreness in the arm for a day or two.  The second shot I had less soreness but was more tired the next day and ended taking a half day off.  Now, that could have just been a bad night's sleep issue and unrelated.  But nothing major.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #397 on: May 07, 2021, 06:44:00 PM »
You actually want some sort of side effects on the second shot. That's your body telling you it's working and building your immunity. I've heard a range on second shots so it's really a coin flip. I haven't heard of anyone I know getting more than tired for a day. We get our second next week. I'll report back.
This signature intentionally left blank.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #398 on: May 11, 2021, 01:55:17 AM »
Pfizer was authorized for ages 12-15 today, and a couple hours later we got a reminder that our high school had a vaccination clinic for ages 16 and up. But a few minutes after that they sent another notification that ages 12-15 could come, too.

We booked it over and were about 20th in line. By the time we left there were probably another 100 people waiting. They were expecting a total of 30 people in the three hours before the news about the 12-15 age group came.

So my eldest got her first shot. Woot! My younger kid actually doesn't turn twelve for a few more days, so we're hoping they're still doing the clinic next week.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #399 on: June 14, 2021, 09:43:53 AM »
Whelp, today we start going back to the office.  They want everyone back in two days a week and the departments staffed every day.  I'll be going in today and tomorrow morning to assist getting the programmers set back up.  Then we'll be following a pod approach except I'll bounce between the two once a week (to meet with them, have 1-on-1s, etc).

Wasn't really that nervous until this weekend but now I am.  Got used to not going into the office except for a few times to get something.  Now, to go back to the office with so many other people just feels like a lot.  I'm sure it'll be fine...

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #400 on: June 14, 2021, 10:07:41 AM »
I went back into the office 2 weeks ago for the first time to 'work'.  Our company has said we will be WFH first going forward.  I know some people have been going in just to be around others a few times a week but it's only handful.  Most are still WFH full time.  I've only been going in for 'summit' type of meetings.

On another note, my kids got their second dose on Saturday.  They both had a pretty rough 24 hours but seem to be doing much better today.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #401 on: June 14, 2021, 11:53:42 AM »
how old are your kids now? I haven't really been following the news so I'm not up on what agest have been approved at this point.  my girls are only 8 and 11.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #402 on: June 14, 2021, 02:07:28 PM »
My son is 12 and my daughter is 14.  The vaccine is approved for 12-15 year-olds.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #403 on: June 15, 2021, 01:30:29 AM »
We don't have an office to go back to so I haven't done that. But we did watch a movie in the theater and start dining indoors again. My youngest turned 12 just as the vaccine was authorized for her age so now both kids and their parents have had their two doses already.

It's pretty much back to normal for us. We continue to wear masks where required but otherwise we're feeling pretty lucky to not really have to worry right now. Heading to Disneyland next month and Japan in the fall. I can't really think of anything we wouldn't do at this point unless there's an outbreak.

Our biggest concerns are still elsewhere. Other countries who don't have vaccines are poised to get hit hard with new variants and I just don't get the apparent lack of urgency to stamp this out before most of the world heads into winter at the end of the year.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #404 on: June 15, 2021, 11:21:09 AM »
I just don't get the apparent lack of urgency to stamp this out before most of the world heads into winter at the end of the year.

Because it's not currently "our" problem. Very short sighted thinking, but part of the isolationism ideals about half the country has. There are plenty of people thinking like you though that more needs to be done, and quickly, before a variant becomes globally problematic.
This signature intentionally left blank.