Author Topic: Sound Bar  (Read 4913 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Sound Bar
« on: June 03, 2020, 11:25:46 PM »
I am ready to replace my home theater sound system. It is a mix of old stuff. The receiver has to be 20 years old - it is a technics and it was a really nice unit when I bought it as a teenager - took a lot of savings! - that is connected to 5 fairly cheap pioneer speakers and a sony subwoofer. I've had this set up for ten years. And truthfully it never worked great. I think I want to drop all those speakers and the receiver and just go with a sound bar and possibly a wireless subwoofer.

What would you guys recommend?

I am not looking for super quality - main purpose will be for movie watching...very little music listening.

My budget is $350

I was looking at this today at Costco, and almost purchased it - but I figured I'd ask you guys and gals first. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/sound_bar/ats-2090/index.html

tia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Sound Bar
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 11:59:36 PM »
I don't have a good recommendation unfortunately.  What I do have is a word of warning:  Make sure you get one that integrates well with the TV you have.  We didn't and haven't enjoyed it as much.  I've noticed absolutely nothing from the wireless subwoofer that came with it.

Ours connects via Bluetooth because if we use the optic cable then we can't control it via the tv remote and have to use a separate remote.  With bluetooth I occasionally nice a really tiny sync issue that really distracts me.  It isn't often and no one else apparently sees it but I swear it is there!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 12:35:04 AM »
Make sure you get one that integrates well with the TV you have. 

That's a good call out - I have a pretty old pretty shitty TV downstairs. It only has two HDMI connections, and the above referenced yamaha unit needs one of them. Well both of mine are occupied...there is also something called DVI Audio port - is that simply AUX? 

I see that currently I have the audio not routed from the tv but rather directly from the cable box. the cable box has multiple hdmi ports as well as an optic audio port. So I should be fine with that, as long as I don't watch DVDs! I wanted to the other day, and found out my player was dead - it was a bluray player. Anyway, that went into the trash and in its place I pulled out a really old regular DVD player that isn't even HDMI :p I might have to upgrade that at some point...I have such a large library of DVD's - I was going through it last night and I'd love to watch some of them.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 01:13:19 AM »
I've always heard great things about Sonos.  I am thinking of buying one in the future.  This is a touch above your budget if you're willing to stretch a hair.  https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/beam.html

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 06:13:30 AM »
I agree.  Get one that intigrates well with your current TV.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 06:29:59 AM »
The receiver has to be 20 years old - it is a technics and it was a really nice unit when I bought it as a teenager - took a lot of savings!

OMG, I bet I have the exact same one. LOL.  I've had the same receiver and speakers for 20 years now - the technics, 2 bose bookshelf speakers, a bose center speaker under my tv, and a pioneer subwoofer.  I remember dishing out some pretty big money at Circuit City back in the day. LOL
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 08:48:04 AM »
I've always heard great things about Sonos.  I am thinking of buying one in the future.  This is a touch above your budget if you're willing to stretch a hair.  https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/beam.html

Yes, I saw those at Costco as well. I think there were two models. I wonder what our resident expert thinks about them? Knuck?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 03:38:16 PM »
soooo, I figured that I was fine with my current prety sub-par setup for all these years, I would probably not benefit with getting something even from the medium end of the spectrum. Did some research and ended up ordering this polk setup: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H1B3PY9

it is supposed to arrive tomorrow so I will give a quick review once I use it a while.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 01:02:26 PM »
Got this a few days ago - and as Mike said, it was not compatible with my downstairs TV so I had to swap with the upstairs one. Once I did that it was a piece of cake to get everything set up. And so far so good. Quality is good enough for me. Sub has plenty of punch and speaker itself can get loud! The only thing I don't like is that it turns off after not being used, and since I can't get my xfinity remote sync'ed up with it, I have to turn it on separately. Not a big issue though.