Author Topic: DVDs - what now  (Read 1897 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
DVDs - what now
« on: June 04, 2020, 08:02:00 PM »
I got a boat load of DVDs. I dunno, probably 150 or so. They are out of sight out of mind - stored in this massive chest/table thing I made a while back. 95% are just good ol' regular DVDs - nothing HD. So what now. I don't want to throw them out, but the last time I watched some was when we had a really crappy satellite internet connection at the cabin. Most are pretty decent movies, like shit I got when I went to college. There is a Kubrik collection, bunch of Kurosawa movies, etc etc - and I don't know where I would be able to access these types of movies other wise.

I wish there was a service that you can sign up for that if you purchased a DVD way back when you could now have access to it digitally for ever.

what did you guys to with your DVDs?

https://www.amazon.com/Akira-Kurosawas-Dreams-Terao/dp/B00007G1ZC
Holy shit - maybe I should sell them? ;)

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: DVDs - what now
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 08:53:33 PM »
The wife has a ton and we just keep them in a couple of cabinets.  And then we occasionally watch one.  Hell, over memorial day weekend we watched the LOTR trilogy via DVD.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 10:26:56 PM »
We sold a bunch at Half Priced Books recently.  Most we can find streaming.  The ones we knew we would watch again in a pinch we kept.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 10:27:04 PM »
Never had many.  Shrug.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 10:51:44 PM »
years ago (like maybe 10?) we bought thin plastic sleeves and threw out all the bulky cases. probably fit 150 dvd's in a shoe-box or two that are shoved in a closet somewhere.  There is a rack in a storage area in our basement with all the "box sets" (like my entire collection of Smallville seasons  :lol: ) that got shoved back there when we moved into this house 6+ years ago.  I don't think I even have a DVD player any more.

That said, a little over 10 years ago, I gave away my 200+ CD collection.   I spent a couple days and burned a bunch of them to MP3 (pointless nowadays) and kept maybe like 5 of them that were sentimental.  I just gave them to a friend who said he'd take them and I told him it was fine if he threw out whatever he didn't want.

You can donate all your stuff to like goodwill, savers, the salvation army, etc... Usually they resell them for like $1 each.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."