Author Topic: We got a puppy!  (Read 5248 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
We got a puppy!
« on: May 14, 2021, 12:46:37 PM »
We got a puppy!  She's 3 months old.  Half her paperwork says she's an Akita mix.  Half of it says she's a Husky mix.  I think she's neither and she's a shepherd mix.  LOL  Her name is Pixel  :D

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: We got a puppy!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 03:20:30 PM »
Cute.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 03:41:01 PM »
Cute, we picked up a covid puppy last May. Kids love her.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 09:20:06 PM »
So.... I may have jumped the gun on this announcement.  We were fostering with the intent to adopt but another family wanted her so..... puppy gone.  Ultimately I think we realized we're not really dog people or at least not ready for a dog.  My son didn't even want to play with her and basically stayed in his room while she was here.  My daughter, on the other hand, cried for like 12 hours straight after she was gone.  Ugh.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 08:32:58 AM »
> Ultimately I think we realized we're not really dog people or at least not ready for a dog

In the before times I watched my brother's dog while they were on vacation.  Good dog but just so dog that it made me realize that I'm not really a dog person.  Pretty much killed any thought of getting a dog.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 08:45:17 AM »
My wife and I both had this vision that it would be good to have a dog for walks and to hopefully force us to just be more active but ultimately we just felt like it would force us to restrict ourselves (having to get back to the house to let the dog out or not able to just go do stuff whenever we want)... plus we go visit my parents a few times a year and I'm not going to board the dog and we can't take it with us.  The whole thing just felt like we were getting a toddler that wasn't going to grow up.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 09:02:11 AM »
I hear ya.  Some visions/thought as you and yeah same realizations.  We just went went out of town for several days and while we had a friend stopping by to check on the cat it was really to check on the plants, the cat would have been fine (if a bit lonely).  A dog would have required much more extensive planning.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 09:13:30 AM »
looks like you guys went through a whirlwind of emotions - but it seems like it turned out for the best :)

pixel is super cute though!

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 02:45:08 PM »
>The whole thing just felt like we were getting a toddler that wasn't going to grow up.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Having a dog is a huge time investment and a massive inconvenience. You have to really be willing to make some lifestyle adjustments.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 04:17:32 PM »
Yup, and at the end of the day, I don't think we were ready and/or willing to do that.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 08:58:40 AM »
it's good that you had the opportunity to test that waters with fostering. There are soooo many new puppies in my neighbourhood. I'm a little worried about what's going to happen with some of them once people go back to work.

SoniaJackson

• Jackass I
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 10:36:03 AM »
Hi) Oh my gosh he is so cute, he will grow up to be a good friend for you!!! Congratulations on having such a miracle in your home))))

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 01:35:58 PM »
Hi Sonia - welcome to the forum!  What brought you here?

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 08:00:38 PM »
So.... I may have jumped the gun on this announcement.  We were fostering with the intent to adopt but another family wanted her so..... puppy gone.  Ultimately I think we realized we're not really dog people or at least not ready for a dog.  My son didn't even want to play with her and basically stayed in his room while she was here.  My daughter, on the other hand, cried for like 12 hours straight after she was gone.  Ugh.

Oof.  I had dogs growing up, but we had cats too.  I guess I found myself to be more of a cat person.  The first 3 of my 4 kids were/are allergic to cats though, so we have been pretty much without a pet.  Now two of my "kids" are young adults... my daughter is 12... and my youngest son with no allergy is 8.  So we decided we are going to get one of these https://g.co/kgs/b9khB1 ... but we have been trying for over a year, and they are impossible to get it seems.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 08:06:24 AM »
Yeah, we pretty much abandoned the idea of pets for a bit.  We talked about fostering some kittens but no one ever really pushed for it and I'm not all about that so it's gonna be on someone else in the house to really want to do it.  I'm not a pet person.  Period.