Author Topic: 20 things you won't like about vista  (Read 4995 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
20 things you won't like about vista
« on: June 01, 2006, 10:44:38 PM »
Lots of screenies in this review. Its really long so I just browsed the points and screen shots. Every time I see a new pic of Vista it reminds me more and more of a bastardized OSX.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9000829&pageNumber=1

Everywhere you look, Microsoft has copied things that Apple has offered for quite some time in OS X. The User Account Control features, especially with the Vista Standard log-in, look a lot like Apple's user interface design. Too bad Microsoft doesn't let you lock and unlock things (leaving those settings permanent) the way Apple does. More than 15 years later, Microsoft is still following Apple in operating system design and bundled materials. With some notable exceptions (including IE7+, where it copied Mozilla, and the Windows Sidebar, where it bests Apple, Google and everyone in user-interface design), Microsoft is belaboring the point by reinventing the wheel, often with an overall reduction in productivity and usability.

I have no problem with Microsoft copying Apple's or any other company's best interface designs. We all win when that happens, and I wish Apple would steal the best things Microsoft does right back. What's really strange is when a company lifts good ideas and makes them worse, not better.

The bitter end

After more than 15 years reviewing Windows operating systems, I didn't just suddenly begin hating Microsoft or Windows. (Although I have to admit, OS X is looking better and better of late.) Windows Vista has plenty of good aspects to recommend it. In a future article, Computerworld will make plain the many good things about Windows Vista. When the product ships, we'll also make some final recommendations on the new operating system.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: 20 things you won't like about vista
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 10:51:15 PM »
this doesnt look like a mac AT ALL

[/sarcasm]

is there a vista beta yet?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 10:55:23 PM »
and its very intense as far as system requirements.....i think a few weeks with a beta installed and i would be ready yo trash it. Of course i was like that with xp at first.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 06:32:27 PM »
Well he's got one thing right, that friggen install took FOREVER. 1hr and 3min to be exact

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 07:01:05 PM »
Well its entirely too early to tell anything, but as i came to this site in Vista using IE7 heres my initial impression:

Nice layout in general. The differences from the old windows o/s is suprisingly not very cumbersome.
Speed suffers occasionally, by alot.
IE7 is definitly a FF rip off.
GUI couldnt me more MAC OSX if it WAS a mac....
User prompts are more annoying that the president bush game popup ads
Install took entirely too long

theres alot i like about it already, too. The network auto detected, installed, and configured in a matter of seconds. I havent needed to install any drivers yet, and everrything is working as it should be. O/S loaded very fast compared to my XP install.

off to play, woot!!

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 07:36:39 AM »
make sure you check out the Tom's article too...has about 500 screen shots...It's just descriptive, but still very interesting.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/31/windows_vista/
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 12:10:15 PM »
Thanks kermi. I'm thinking about writing something as i go along, then going back and adding to it as my own review. I never did that when i beta'd XP or anything and i always wanted too.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 05:55:27 PM »
pretty much the same. default image format is no longer .bmp on vista, now its .png. i like that, honestly.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 01:48:09 AM »
u can make it transparent.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 10:12:38 AM »
mspaint sucks. photoshop

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 11:43:14 AM »
lol to each his own. Along the original topic i will be starting a daily blog under one of my current domains for Vista. Im basically going to do a day to day review as i go along that is catagorized by builds.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 03:10:59 PM »
pretty much the same. default image format is no longer .bmp on vista, now its .png. i like that, honestly.

wow, MS dumps their own format for an open one. didn't see that comming. MS could be a really great company if they didn't fight everything that they didn't own. Maybe this is a step in the right direction (a very small step.. probably more like a stumble)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 03:16:20 PM »
ROFL...

Problem: An open format is being used
Expected outcome: Proprietary format incompatible with all other applications
How reproducable: Always
Additional Notes: Is there someway you could charge me extra for this?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 07:17:12 PM »
lmao. It seems to be the format all over. even the default background files and the theme pack all use PNG's. Awsome!!